Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 7 years ago

Compatible (mSATA) SSD for Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H?

So I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD hooked up to it and now I'm looking to give it a modest speed boost by adding on a SSD (solid state drive). The motherboard has a mSATA connector which can use Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) and I'd like to make use of it. Can any recommend a suitable/compatible mSATA SSD for this motherboard and what size to go for it or do you think mSATA is a waste of time?

Thanks for the info. I noticed that the mSATA slot on the board supports the 3Gb/s standard and not 6Gb/s. Would a 6Gb/s SSD work in this slot or should I look for the other? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

cache SSD's are actually pretty beneficial IMHO. I have a 60 GB SSD that I use as cache drive. Boot times are dramatically sped up. IIRC, (and I could be wrong), Intel SRT can only utilize SSD's up to 64GB in size. So I would look for a 60- 64GB mSata drive. Expect to spend around $70-$80.

It's not as nice as having a dedicated large SSD, but it's cheap, and pretty effective for the price.

Edit; yeah a 6Gb/s mSATA will still work, the standards are downward compatible.

Motherboard With Msata