do you think the NFL overtime system puts to much emphasis on the coin toss?

the system worked many years ago when most offensive possessions did not end in a score, but now if a team starts with the ball more likely than not they will score a touchdown.

• DEBS
    Favorite Answer

I just did a quick search which blows your theory out of the water.

In 2012, there were 22 overtime games under the new rules resulting in 3 touchdowns on the first possession. Everyone of those started on the 20. Of the remaining 19 games, 3 resulted more had the opening drive open result in a FG and then a defensive stop. You can read about it and how the remaining games ended in the following article.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfls-...

The bottom line is, however, that you had an equal number of games won by the kicking and the receiving team (3 or 22 for each) that ended in the first two possessions.

I absolutely think so. How many times do you watch a football game that goes into overtime and you just think "Well whoever wins the toss wins the game" I mean NFL modified the overtime systems a little (If you kick a FG on your first possession the opposing team gets a chance to tie or score a TD,) but still if you score a TD on you're opening drive the games over. I absolutely LOVE NCAA system, two team, two possessions, that's how it should be. I would say do another quarter, but the NFL would probably make it a shorter quarter time wise, and all a team has to do is run the clock out and they win. I just think each team should get a possession, if they both score a TD, its a tie.

Doing it college style wouldn't work because the scores would be overinflated. Playing a full extra guaranteed 15 min quarter would wear everyone out.

I think it should just be the first team to 5 points, OR whichever team is up at the end of the OT. A TD would win the game automatically, but you would need 2 FGs or a FG/safety to win that way. I just don't think a single FG should win a game. Its too anticlimactic.

No, winning the coin toss only gets that team the ball first if the other team can't hold on defense and prevent a touchdown why is it considered "fair" that they too get a chance to score, it's the job of a defense to keep opponents from scoring.

Yes. The college system of overtime, where both teams get a chance to score is more fair.

• MFFL

I just wish they would adopt the College overtime rules. College overtime is so exciting. They don't even have to start from the 25, there could be a kick-off, and the rest of the college rules are adopted.

I think they should just play out a fifth quarter.

Yes it is stupid, they should just play a normal quarter

paper, rock, scizzors