Pros and Cons of living in Los Angeles, California?

So ever since i can remember i have always wanted to visit California, of course watching The OC, and other california based shows does get you excited to see how it would be like to actually visit or live there. But i have a few people i have talked to that have actually experience Los Angeles, Hollywood and so on, but its all mixed opinions (obviously)

I am currently a college student and have a co-op (paid work term) in my 3rd year, and was thinking of a few abroad options to go and live and work somewhere outside of my country (Canada). My currently ideas were Caifornia, Florida, New York, Chicago, England

Now for Los Angeles, i have heard both good and bad things about it. Some say its not safe in a lot of parts, some say it is safe, others say its a dirty town, others disagree, and the glitz and glamour isn't all real..But obviously its best to see for myself. Now besides all that, how GOOD is LA to you guys, what are the good and bad things about it, what is there for fun there, hows the overall experience? and how expensive is it to live there and to shop??

I don't want to not go just because others have had a bad experience, so its hard to decide..Please help! Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Since you are Canadian, you can easily get an internship in the US. But it will be some time before you are an expert employee and would be eligible for a TN visa.

Here's your answer - well over 80% of famous wealthy people own property in Southern California. It's rumored the 2nd wealthiest person in the US (Warren Buffet) only owns two residential properties - his primary residence in Omaha and his vacation home in Laguna. Do you think he or any of the other wealthy people would choose to live here if it was mostly unsafe and dirty.

As for glitz and glamour - LA is not really glitz and glamoury. It's very down to earth. Even Rodeo Dr doesn't exactly "sparkle".

As a native who has traveled a lot, there are few other places that I would choose to live. The worst thing is how spread out it is and how hard it is to get around via public transportation.

For example: I live about less than 20 miles from Disneyland. I can get there by car in all but the most extreme traffic jams in less than 25 minutes. I would love to be like a NY-er and hop on the subway or something. But with our transportation system, it would be over a 2 hour trip.

If you wish to go to the famous Hollywood you then require to create a visit to Los Angeles and that hotelbye is the area to start. In Hollywood you will dsicover landmarks including the Walk of Fame (stars on the sidewalk), the Hollywood Sign, the Hollywood Bowl and more. Los Angeles can also be a area for everyone because this place is the home to several world-famous amusement parks like Universal Studios, Disneyland and much more. In Los Angeles you can also came to savor the warm environment and beaches so regardless of your pursuits, Los Angeles makes the perfect getaway.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a place of residency. Although, I make trips to Los Angeles occasionally for work, I've learned that big cities are not for me and that's why I wouldn't live in Los Angeles. Would I visit Los Angeles? Of course! I just wouldn't live in Los Angeles.

I grew up there and I'm just going to say, don't believe the hype. It's very expensive, there's loads of traffic and smog. Everyone wants to be an actor, or a writer, or a director and it's generally very tedious. It's a nice place to visit, but seriously don't move there.

I've lived here all my life & now I want to move away. It's a great place. But it always depends on what part of Los Angeles. It's not all beautiful & it's very over populated. Good luck with all you do.

Source(s): I've lived here