Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 7 years ago

Is it normal for someone to constantly compare themselves to Jesus?

My boyfriend is Catholic and he's always comparing himself to Jesus, he says that they have many similarities. Sometimes he'll ask me if I want to see some old pictures of him but then he just shows me pictures of Jesus and says that that's him and it's kinda weird.

• Isabel
    Favorite Answer

It's not normal at all. What's not normal is that most enthusiastic believers don't compare themselves, they hold Jesus as their savior, not as their equal. Now, what comes to mind is that the boyfriend might have some issues that would be considered delusionary. And that perhaps he needs a medical and psychological evaluation. This is not normal at all, and could be early signs of the onset of schizophrenia. Or he could simply be under the influence of some over-enthusiastic believers, or the influence of some particularly interesting drugs.

Now, in what would be an extreme example, there have been a few folks over the years that think they are messiahs, and while not perhaps comparing directly to Jesus, had a particularly powerful belief in their mission - Jimmy Jones of the Jonestown massacre, David Koresh of the Branch Davidians and Waco, Texas, Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate group.

I've noticed that some people think that because they "get" some of the tenets of the Jesus Gospels (do unto others, help others, turn the other cheek, non-violence, etc) they must be God's Chosen One too.

Even the teachings of Jesus can be traced back to the Jain Philosophy, and quite frankly, Being a Good Person is neither divinely inspired nor original.

Modern day common sense dictates The Golden Rule and Be a Loving Human Being, and it always has. Next time he compares himself…tell him to take a walk, and then push him in the swimming pool.

• Sky

Normal for religious people only in that it's a common occurrence. It's not psychologically normal. Strongly religious people very often compare themselves to Jesus, thinking they're so good they're following in his footsteps, or some such crap. All they're really doing is being judgmental of others by acting like they're as good as Jesus, therefore better than other people who don't measure up. But that's a behavioral comparison. It sounds like your BF is making an appearance comparison. That is very abnormal considering he's comparing himself to a fictional character who has no photographic representation of what he was supposed to actually look like, so every picture to exist of him is nothing more than the artist's interpretation. It's like saying, "I look like Superman." Your BF and countless religious artists seem to forget where in the world Jesus supposedly was born and raised--Israel, right between Africa and Saudi Arabia--and always think of him as a pasty white guy rather than black or very brown skinned.

If your BF wants to think he looks like Jesus then fine, there's no harm in that. But if he starts thinking or believing he actually is Jesus reincarnated, run away from that relationship and don't turn back.

Yeah, I've actually talked to a few egotistical moronic assholes who crave attention that are constantly comparing themself to God/Jesus.

Tell your boyfriend he's not getting any worship until he can score himself a good job and some money.

Source(s): Huahuahuaaaa
  • Gnome

Yeah it is a bit but I think it's more weird to claim your the son of a god and follow it through to the extent that he did.

Narcissist alert

I hope your'e joking. Is Kanye West your boyfriend?

^Aww man, I got beat to the punch.

Is your boyfriend Kanye West?

Uh, is his room at his house padded? I think you need to get away as fast as you can from him.

Well my friend calls himself God, is he Kayne "Gay Fish" West