Why exactly should I respect other people's beliefs?

Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Marshall Applewhite, Joseph Di Mambro. Dwight York, Shoko Asahara, David Koresh, etc. etc.--Are their beliefs respectable? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

~~~ I find it completely irrelevant to 'care about' or to 'respect', or even be concerned about them, when One is Love!

If We Love, all that little personal Perspective stuff seems to take care of itself.

If you see beauty, someone else will see ugly, and both are Truth!

Truth is ALL inclusive!!!

From one Perspective We see Pain, from another we see Bliss! Same Reality, different Perspectives.

I do not respect peoples imaginary creatures; the FSM, Jesus, unicorns that poop Twinkies...

But I have no more 'respect' for that which exists beyond the imagination.

I do Love, though!

I do not need to discriminate between who and what is worthy of Love!

Anything and everything that is unworthy of Love, is 'Self!'!

"The acceptance and understanding of other Perspectives furthers our acquaintance with Reality!"

"Wage Love, practice Compassion!"

“Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” - Rumi

tat tvam asi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tat_Tvam_Asi)

You shouldn't; beliefs, like all ideas, are only "respectable" if they can be supported and defended, they live and die on their merits. People often make the mistake of equating respect for beliefs with respect for the right of people to hold their beliefs, which are two very different things. They also have a tendency to incorporate their beliefs into their self-identity, causing criticism of the former to be taken as criticism of the latter, which is again not the case.

• Archer

The based their perspectives and preaching on what? The belief in gods and that "they" were a direct conduit to that god. Idiots believed them and followed, had they just respected and then laughed and walked away how many would be alive today? A belief harms no one but the followers of a belief can as you have demonstrated.

• C C

You shouldn't respect their beliefs. You're only supposed to tolerate them. If someone believes you're the scum of the earth for being 4 feet tall and have a limp, you gotta tolerate it, but you sure don't have to respect that belief.

Tolerate, not respect.

I see you made this question in response to mine... Okay like you said in you're answer on my page that you bet I don't respect those beliefs... Well few of my close friends are agnostic and atheists and I respect them and why do you think that is it because I said I was Christian? Please I under stand why are questioning why should you respect other peoples beliefs and all... And please I understand that you probably think Christians are bad and stuff and trust me were not perfect for sure I will tell you this I have sinned and made mistakes in my life because I'm human and no human is perfect...am I wrong? And not all Christians are bad.... I know theirs a lot of bad Christians out there (westpro baptist church for example ) and then theirs a lot out there who are good hearted people I'm just letting you know from a different point of view on things

Source(s): My opinion
  • Iggy

Because you want them to respect your beliefs.

I could list names similar to yours: Pol Pot, Joseph Stalin, Kim Jong-Il, Jim Jones, Benito Mussolini, Mao Tse Tung, etc etc.

Oh look, we've listed a name in common [1]. Perhaps you need to read the transcripts to understand.

I think respect builds better communities than name calling unless your aim is a complete break-down of society.

We can agree there are extremes in either direction that are bad. If we both look at these and agree they are bad perhaps we should then start looking for good examples that allow us to build better communities. Without respect no one will listen to you and therefore you will be ineffectual at bringing about positive change (assuming that is something you want).

Without respect, civilization fails. Your examples (and mine) demonstrate this.

• C C
      6 years agoReport

*I don't require their respect.

• Jay UU

In contradiction to one of your answerers, the bible makes it clear that there is one true religion. While respecting the right for each person to choose what he will believe, it's important to make sure that what YOU believe is based on the truth. Otherwise, what's the point of believing in something!

I agree with you, and I go so far as to say that I know Christians think Christianity is the best thing since sliced bread, and because they have been fooled into allowing themselves to become slaves to Christianity and the church, we ought to accept their foolishness. I never have and never will, and I will not give lip service to something that I know more about than any Christians including most of the cardinals of the catholic church.

Source(s): My years of researching christinaity, something no christian I have ever met has done, not even priests.

Because they are people and everyone has their own beliefs and are attached to those beliefs. So, if you don't respect their beliefs, you basically don't respect them. You don't have to agree with those beliefs, but you should respect them.

• Jenny

No one is certain that there is only ONE true religion. As long as you believe in God I doubt wich religion you choose matters.