Sophie asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 years ago

First tap lesson what to wear?

My teacher told me not to get tap shoes or the uniform until after a few lessons so i wont be wearing tap shoes. I already do ballet so I was wondering if i should just wear my ballet leotard and leggings or whether I should wear ballet shoes too?

Favorite Answer

I usually wear leggings and a form-fitting T-shirt or tank top with a sports bra to tap class. A ballet leotard and leggings works perfectly as well. Keep your hair pulled back in a ponytail and clip your bangs back if you have any. Use hairspray or hair gel to prevent your hair from flying in your face as you dance. If your hair is short and layered (like mine) wear a headband, held in place with clips, use hairspray to smooth down any fly-away wispies, and pull what little amount of hair you have into a mini-ponytail.

If you don't have tap shoes, it's generally recommended to wear jazz shoes instead, but if your teacher told you not to get tap shoes yet & is still fine with you coming to class, then she will probably be okay with you wearing ballet shoes. Keep in mind that if the tap flooring is anything like the floor at the place I train, it's pretty dirty. Personally, I wouldn't dare wear my ballet shoes on the floor for fear they would get blackened by the flooring & messed up. That's why most people recommend black jazz shoes.

leo and leggings, tank top and shorts, yoga pants and t shirt they all work...ballet slippers or sneakers are fine to wear until you get your tap shoes

Keep in mind that if the tap flooring is anything like the floor at the place I train, it's pretty dirty.