Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

eiji asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

why eu did not raise concern when usa detain 3 uyghur without trial for 10 years?

The European Union's ambassador to China, Markus Ederer, in a briefing with reporters on Friday in Beijing, urged Chinese authorities to clarify what charges Ilham Tohti might be facing and tell his family where he is being held.

"I have called on the authorities to treat him in line with Chinese legislation, to substantiate the charges ... to inform the family of his whereabouts. If these charges cannot be substantiated, release him," Ederer said.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The EU has allowed the US administration both now and in the past to conduct a rendition programme across the Atlantic. It would seem disingenuous if the EU starts banging on about human rights in China when it has problems directing its members to behave accountable to the public .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e...

• 7 years ago

One simply cant compare unelected red China with the great land of the free America. Its simply not on and is bound to get sparks shooting from my pipe. Of course one might say its nothing to do with the common marker. Thats not a country,its a trading pact that countries belong to to trade between them-selves--or is it?

But as the asker will see from my link Dr Ederer is not the Ambassador to China. He is head of a trade delegation. I believe the EU has an Ambassador of some kind to the UN,but thats it.

Its Great Britains place to raise concerns if need be not a quango. If America detains anyone they will be dangerous terrorists.

• Feivel
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Ilham Tohti is a journalist. The people the USA are holding were caught on battlefields, with guns, bombs, rockets etc etc... shooting at Americans, British etc and/or committing atrocities against their own people.

Journalist writing things the government don't like VS people who are terrorists. Big difference.

• 7 years ago

those "detained" by the US have taken arms to fight US soldiers. Since they are not uniformed soldiers in the service in a sovereign nation, they are not under the rules of war for such soldiers. Since they were taken in combat zones, under arms, they are not simply criminals. (they tend to describe themselves soldiers, even if not soldiers of a country). Thus, they fall outside the legal statutes of the US.

Detention has been the default option. To release them simply puts more combatants in the field against our soldiers. Simply executing them is considered morally wrong, though would be technically legal by the rules of war. And even with careful review before releasing detainees, we are finding the released prisoners are turning back up with guns in hand.

There is no equating Gitmo detainees with political prisoners in China. If you have a viable option to imprisonment of enemy combatants, please let us know. 12 years into this current "war", we would love to come up with a solution to this conundrum.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Why would the EU be interested?

I don't care,I'm sure I am not a minority either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.