Only in last couple of yrs that you could buy sweet potatoes here in Ireland,are they v popular in US/Canada?

Strange kind of vegetable, a mix between a potato and a carrot in a way. Lasts much longer , stays fresher I mean, than either potatoes or carrots, really lasts. And nice! They aren't popular here, very few buy them. But not very expensive. Maybe $1.60 or so for per kg. The ones I buy are from the US - probably the ONLY vegetable you'll find in Ireland, maybe in Europe, that's from the US. I boil them, not sure if you can cook them any other way. Up until a few years ago they were simply never imported/stocked here.

Are they indigenous to the US I wonder? I mean is that where they are primarily grown? They have a GREAT shelf life, never came across a vegetable like it.

Fried might be a little weird but I must try it sometime. I've only ever gotten them half a dozen times.

Wow, I just checked it on wiki, could have earlier but that defeats the purpose of YA, lol. What an amazing vegetable, it even grows in water!!! Think they'll be a more regular addition for me! And very nutritious even when compared to other veg. Can't figure out how it works as a pie though, lol. Thanks.

Thanks for the great answers folks. Some people mentioned pumpkin, I've never had pumpkin. You'll see it in supermarkets sometimes, usually around halloween. But here they are more ornamental than anything I don't really think we eat them - I don't think we know what to do with them, lol.

The sweet potatoes I get are very dark orange inside. I buy them pre-packed in a supermarket chain called Tesco, not sure if you have Tesco in the US. Other stores also sell them sometimes, Aldi for example, there they are usually loose. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Up the Republic!

You can fry or roast them as you would a potato. They most horrible thing they do to them in the States is mash them with some maple syrup, put them in a casserole, and top them off with marshmallows: then bake 'til the marshmallow start to brown.

I prefer them baked, eaten plain with black pepper.

Scrape the skin off, cut into wedges, toss with olive oil and a little fresh thyme and/or rosemary, salt & pepper, put on an oiled baking sheet and roast in a hot oven until they are soft all the way through and crispy brown on the outside...turn at least once while they are roasting.... season with a little extra salt while hot if needed...nom nom nom!

I don't even give temperatures or times because it doesn't matter all that much, just put them in a hot oven and cook until done...they are so easy to cook and very forgiving...and so good!

Here in the US we have several different kinds, which as far as I can tell taste the same but are different colors, ranging from almost white to orange to deep orange. In stores sometimes the white ones are labeled as "yams" and the orange ones a "sweet potatoes" and the deep orange ones as "garnet yams." I understand that "yams" are something different altogether, so this creates a lot of happy confusion.

Sweet potatoes are a traditional fall food, and in many families if you leave them off the Thanksgiving menu you might as well not even bother with cooking anything at all! You know how holidays are, every cook has a recipe for Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, and you take your life into your hands if you suggest that mashing them and covering them with marshmallows isn't the best way to cook them. You just eat them and say they are the best sweet potatoes ever, and then ask for the recipe ;-)

Very popular.

If you want to try something really good...Roast in the oven just like you would a regular potato. When it is done and tender split open add a dab of butter, some brown sugar. Could easily pass as a dessert!

Fried like "french fries" or chips they are good but because of the high sugar content they stay a bit soft. The are better as crispy chips rather than fries.

Works for a pie just like a pumpkin would. Roast then add egg, cream and sugar pour into crust and bake.

the vines are beautiful when grown as an ornamental but keep away from pets and children that may try eating them as I understand they can be toxic.

Very popular in the south where most are grown.

comes in a variety of colors from a pale orange to a very deep color.

Do not confuse sweet potatoes with yams the term in used interchangeably but they are not the same.

Years ago when I lived in Germany, we couldn't buy fresh sweet potatoes there; we actually had to buy the canned ones. They were readily available to the military there.

They were shipped from the States to the commissary stores.

The yam or sweet potato is a native of the Southern states.

Mostly grown in Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas and some other warmer states.

It has a great taste, and can be cooked many ways.

1. fried

2. baked

3. candied [with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg etc

4. mashed with butter

I will try to find you a website.

Baked is best. Not sure if you are getting the Orange flesh or Yellow. Orange are very sweet. Yellow have better flavour. ( spelling is for you ) Native to South America. Nutrition is much like Carrot, just more sugar. Sweet Potato Pie is great. Just baked with some of that Irish butter is too. You know the stuff, natural pale yellow.

Irish - Very popular. Grown mostly in southern states. I love them baked with lots of butter. Candied yams are a holiday tradition. Sweet potato fries and sweet potato chips have gained a great deal of popularity in the last few years. Sweet potato pie is another southern favorite. Query sweet potato recipes. I think you will be amazed at how versatile they are.

Enjoy

Yes. They're popular and indigenous to the Americas. Though they've had a mini-resurgence the last 10 years because they're low in carbs. You can bake them, roast them, boil them, microwave them. They make great pies (any dessert you can use pumpkin in, you can use sweet potato) and soups too.

They are extremely popular in the US.

They can be mashed, fried, roasted, baked and almost whatever way you do regular potatoes.

They will cook faster though

Dune

Yes they are very popular! I happen to love sweet potato pie and sweet potato casserole!