Can someone help me understand the mechanics of DC Universe Online a bit better?

I think I have the basics under wraps. Tank beats controller beats healer beats tank - like rock, scissors, paper - and DPS is a general role with no buffs or de-buffs. (I run DPS all the time. Is that a mistake?)

But my real issue is having just achieved level 30 with a character for the first time...

What is this PVP gear v. PVE gear being offered? Is that why some level 30's are far more powerful than other level 30's?

What about PVP gear being disabled in PVE events? (Like the ones you queue for from the On Duty menu.) Am I supposed to keep a set-up for PVE with different armor and weapons?

Most importantly, how does one achieve this high level PVP gear with only Premium access and a bankroll that tops out at $2000?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

<<I think I have the basics under wraps. Tank beats controller beats healer beats tank - like rock, scissors, paper - and DPS is a general role with no buffs or de-buffs.>>

DPS can now debuff all 3 roles with movement mode abilities. also, it can be debuffed by its counter-role *even if you're not currently in the role*. for example, Nature. a controller can debuff a Nature healer, but can also debuff a Nature DPS. now, that debuff doesn't hurt a Nature DPS nearly as much as a Nature healer, but it's still do-able.

<<(I run DPS all the time. Is that a mistake?)>>

nah. it's a choice. :)

<<Am I supposed to keep a set-up for PVE with different armor and weapons?>>

if you want to do both PvP and PvE, then yes -- you'll need 2 sets of gear (more, if you want dps AND role gear for one or the other).

<<What is this PVP gear v. PVE gear being offered?>>

here's a shortcut -- TOUGHNESS = PvP, and DEFENSE = PvE. pvp ignores defense, and uses toughness. pve ignores toughness, and uses defense. if gear has a Toughness stat, it's for pvp and will be disabled in pve instances.

<<Most importantly, how does one achieve this high level PVP gear with only Premium access and a bankroll that tops out at $2000?>>

go Legendary for a month to earn/buy your gear. alternatively, use Escrow withdrawals from the marketplace. either way, you gotta pay at least a little.

hope I covered everything. good luck! :)

Source(s): USPC villain
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.