Jos A Banks Suit Quality?

I feel like I just made a huge mistake when purchasing my fiancé's suit for the wedding… the suit is a gift to him for valentine's day so he didn't get to consult on it.

I was looking on eBay and seen a regular $950 marked down to $100 and the seller had great reviews on every suit purchase (thousands of reviews) so I jumped to purchase it. With shipping and tax it came up to $170 which is $30 under budget for the suit. I couldn't find any locally for anywhere near that price, it costs $300 for just a jacket and he wears a 52 jacket so it is difficult to find his size.

I shared this with a wedding forum and they jumped on me saying that they have horrible quality suits and young people shouldn't even wear suits like that… so I did more research online. I realize that they mark up their suits more than they should so their discounts look impressive so I didn't get an amazing steal, but I think I did pretty good to get a full suit for $170. I also read that they apparently only are good for larger men (which he is) but that they need a lot of tailoring to look half decent…

Any feedback or experience with these suits would be great because I really feel stupid for jumping on it.

Update:

As above - it is from eBay and he doesn't even know its coming.

He did try other kinds of suits at our mall and that was how we figured out he needed a 52 jacket. Regardless, as long as it fits and looks half decent I don't see how you could argue with $170.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Any time you can get a men's suit for $170, it's a steal. As far as being cheap. I would never say that Jos. A Banks suits are cheap. Many years ago, they used to sell women's clothes, and I shopped there a lot. Very high quality clothes, that are classics and have stood the test of time. As far as the clothes not appropriate for "young men", I say nonsense. Men's suits should last a long time, and be a classic style/cut. Sure you could buy a more "modern" or "younger" look, but again, you want to go classic so that they stand the test of time, especially if he only has one suit. If he's got a closet full of them, then that's a whole 'nother thing.

Do not let the haters on those sites get you down. A lot of people just post to hear themselves seem superior to others. I guess they'd like to see every man in a tux. Yuck. A well tailored suit that actually belongs to the groom is a far superior look than a rented tux

• Login to reply the answers
  • Stacy
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I've never heard that their suits are poor quality. Has he tried it on? If it looks good, then whatever anyone else has to say is unimportant. That is a great deal for a suit. So you may need some alterations, but that would likely happen with a suit from anywhere.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.