Do you have a bad feeling about these Olympics?

Putin and his declarations about how they won't have a terrorist attack for sure...

it would be the perfect black eye for putin for the terrorists...

I hope nothing happens, I mean putin is kind of a d--bag about the gay thing, but I don't want anyone to get hurt...

• David
    Favorite Answer

The International Olympic Committee is as corrupt an organization as any on the planet. The events are often fixed, so the medals mean nothing.

Think not? I will go back to the first time I saw it done, at Munich in 1972. The basketball final was between the Soviet Red Army team and an American team of college players. The USA team scored a basket with 17 seconds left to go ahead by one point, but the timekeeper and referee decided there were actually 23 seconds left. The Russians scored their go ahead basket with eleven seconds left on the clock and the timekeepers rang the buzzer immediately.

Game over. I am not a basketball fan, but I can see the fix when I see it.

Now consider gymnastics and skating, where nations trade support back and forth. Virtually every event is fixed between the judges before it even starts. I know a man who is an IOC certified Gymnastics judge who says that the other judges all do this, and that is why he no longer goes.

The IOC allows this kind of politicization to steal victory from the rightful winner. I have a bad feeling about every Olympics.

Then consider the corruption and graft involved in winning a bid, and the public funds expended on a huge party for the super wealthy who can afford to attend, while education and social services ar cut. There is so much to feel bad about.

Yes, I do have a bad feeling about the Olympics being held in Russia. Russia isn't a safe place for anyone. I don't trust Putin.

I hope that nothing happens and I am sure security will be very tight.

No.........not really. I think major events like these will always be juicy targets now.........but the terrorists have to know that security will be thru the roof.........so I doubt even if something happens.........they will get TOO close to cause any real damage.

Someone might blow up a checkpoint or something........but I think the athletes and the events will be fine. The talking heads on TV just need something to yak about.

• mark

No, I do not. I would not hesitate for one second to compete or be a spectator in the Olympics. The fact that some widowed wife of a Chechin terrorist dubbed the "Black Widow" is striking fear in the minds of some is almost comical.

I'd be willing to lay a few dollars down on a bet that there will be mayhem in Russia. Not necessarily in Sochi itself, but anywhere - people will be distracted, and I'm sure that security forces will be thinned out elsewhere.

The Chechens would definitely not want to hurt any foreign athletes or spectators, they would be shooting themselves in the foot, and lose whatever foreign support that they might have, which would be precious little.

• Di

I don't want Putin to be wrong actually and hope that he is right and has sufficient security to protect Americans attending and performing in the Sochi Olympics.

Hopefully any terrorist attacks will be thwarted but it does remind that Muslim berserkers will kill anyone to make their point.

Well terrorist usually threaten the olympics (or any other "global"

event).

This is really nothing new.

the extra security that is being arranged will most likely be infiltrated by terrorists

it could be a scare tactic to get no one to travel to russia, unsold tickets, all the businesses and hotels gearing up for what they think would bring in tons of revenue only to have it under sold because of the threats made by western govt's media etc

Yes. It's quite sad that there's people who like to do that kind of thing. Instead of going about it peacefully.