How will reversible male birth control change the child support system in the United States?

Reversible male birth control called Vasalgel is supposed to be making its big debut in the latter part of 2015. It is purportedly 100% effective, last 15 years, and is easily reversible returning fertility in just 2-3 months. In the United States some women have received thousands of dollars in child support because the father was a rich man and some men have still been ordered to pay child support after discovering they were not the father.

Will this new invention change all of this by giving men the power to decide if and when a woman becomes pregnant?. How will the country cope with the disruption of wealth from men to women.

You can read more at the link below:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/05/1...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Liz
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't see how it will change the child support system as such. Sure, some men will avoid causing unwanted pregnancies through the use of this new option that will be available to them, so they will end up not having to pay child support. But the child support system will still have to be in place for all the morons out there who are too stupid to figure out a viable means of birth control. I hardly think all of them will suddenly grow a brain just because a new product will be on the market.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

First, there is NO form of birth control (other than complete abstinence) that's 100% effective. Even some surgical sterilizations have failed.

Second, we already have a range of highly effective (though not perfect) birth control methods. Combining any two of these methods will be over 99% effective. And yet, out-of-wedlock births are at record high rates. Adding one more type of birth control to the mix isn't going to change that.

Finally, the wealth isn't going from men to women; it's going from parents (mostly male, but some female) to children. Regardless of how the parents feel about parenthood, they chose to engage in babymaking activities, so now the child's needs must be met.

PS--If you've never been the custodial parent of a small child, let me assure you that forking over a few hundred bucks a month is nothing compared to the day-to-day, 24/7 responsibility of raising that child.

• ...Show all comments
    • Master6 years agoReport

RISUG has been proven to be 100% effective. You are not a doctor nor a scientist so YOUR opinions are invalid.

• Cody
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Disruption of wealth from men to women,really?so a tiny fraction of women may be better of finacially if they get a rich guy to get them pregnant,a tiny,tiny,fraction..! A whole lot of other women are just barely getting by,men already have the ability to control who they get pregnant,and when.women are NOT taking mens wealth by simply asking that they support there children!!

• Kate
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I don't think it will change any thing politically or economically. We already have male birth control - condoms. I think it's great that there are more options for men, but men already had the power to control pregnancy, it's not like they don't notice if they are wearing a condom or not....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.