Why do feminists equate homosexuality with feminism?

Homosexuality is a biological concept while feminism is about women's rights.Why is it that feminists root for legalization of same sex marriage when it is nothing got to do with feminism.

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

"Why do feminists equate homosexuality with feminism?"

I suppose it has something to do with a demographic that has experienced or is perceived to have experienced unfair treatment over the years. I suspect a disproportionate number of feminists (relative to women in general) themselves are lesbians as well.

I also think in some cases, it's part of a divide and conquer approach when it comes to men: if you can get men thinking that we are all parts of a much smaller demographic (ie. instead of being just men, being gay and bisexual men, black men, Asian men, transgendered men, disabled men, etc...), it makes it easier to ram through rights and entitlements that solely benefit women.

"Homosexuality is a biological concept while feminism is about women's rights."

Beyond the biological concept though, there is a community encompassed by homosexual, bisexual and transgendered people, and advocates within that community.

"Why is it that feminists root for legalization of same sex marriage when it is nothing got to do with feminism."

You don't think that two women having the right to marry one another has anything to do with feminism? I think the real issue is...why is it that men don't see the idea of men (in this case, gay or bisexual men) valuing the aesthetic and emotional/moral character of other men as having to do with men's rights?

Seriously it doesn't take much for me to see male beauty, yet often here I've had to read a ridiculous question FROM A MAN talking about how beautiful women are, and how rare it is for women to find an attractive man! How can so many men be so devoid of any appreciation for how attractive they can be, both aesthetically and character wise? Why do so many men choose to believe that we're better off in a past where all a man was valued for...was being a mule who could support and defend his family?

Men bring a lot more to the table than most men care to admit, and if I lived to be 1,000, I'd never understand why so many men are so uncomfortable with the idea that there are men out there who love that about other men in a way they just don't in women!

In short, don't scoff at feminists for their support of marriage equality...ask why so many of those opposed to marriage equality are men! I mean the truth is the most equal marriage a man could possibly have in the Western world right now...is marriage to another man.

After all, no court could sit there and favor one man over the other all the time, the way it happens with mainstream marriage at this point in time!

• Thomas

Feminism and homosexuality are not the same thing, but 3rd wave feminists and LGBT rights activists do help each other out for the greater good. There is more power with numbers and with both movements working towards similar goals, it just makes sense. Patriarchy has always been an enemy to women and gays.

Source(s): Feminist and LGBT rights activist.

Actually the first wave feminists supported white supremacy and anti-gays.

• http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5317/

The first women suffrage supported white supremacy and opposing non-whites to vote.Many of the women suffrage groups supported anti-gay initiatives as well.

• o O o

They are looking for hit points before they run out of juice

Many gay men are feminine. So feminists fight for their allies.

• Emma

Honestly, I have no idea. I haven't really thought much about it until now.

• ?

you do realize that approximately half of homosexuals are women, right. please tell me how women being denied rights has nothing to do with feminism.