Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 years ago

I'm going to upgrade xp to windows 7. Currently I'm using the 32 bit os.?

I understand the basic difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit os. So if the 64 bit os is such a no brainer (faster)...why do they still offer a 32 bit. Pleadse provide as much detai as possible to help me decide which to choose

Best Answer

Simply because a lot of people are still using computers with 32 bit only architecture. While the 64 bit version of the Windows 7/8/8.1 OS does indeed perform faster than it's 32 bit counterpart it only does so under certain conditions. With less than 4GB of RAM benchmarks have show the 32 bit version of Windows performs faster in most cases. Why this is I can only speculate-I imagine it has to do with the bus width and that 4GB of RAM actually reaches into the binary number set[4.096 Billion bytes - 18.446 Quintillion bytes] that 64bit enables allowing it to take advantage of specialized RAM optimizations written into the 64bit code. I generally choose the OS based on which system is more specialized to the architecture. This for me has improved stability and speed. I hope that helps.

Basically if you're not planning on upgrading any time soon and you have less than 4GB of RAM even with a 64 bit Processor go with the 32 bit version. You may choose however to go with the 64 bit version just in case you think you may need to use 64bit software in the future, just know it won't give you any performance increases without the necessary RAM. Side note: Buy an SSD if you're about performance.

The link to the article I read a little while back about this. http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/32-bit-vs...

EDIT: Yahoo keeps deleting part of my answer when I go to post. Second Edit: Finally got it to post it all.

Source(s): CompTIA A+, Network+, Server+ Certifications and years of hands on experience
  • Jim

From what I understand, here's why they still offer a 32 bit OS:

You can't "upgrade" from a 32 bit Windows to a 64 bit Windows. It requires a full install followed by reinstalling all the programs you've already got installed in your 32 bit version.

Sounds like a pain, right? Well... you CAN upgrade to a 32 bit version of Windows 7. You avoid that headache and gain Windows "product life" (XP "dies" in a few months)

As you probabbly know 32 bit OS woros with 32 bit ls at once. Most modern CPUs can work with either 32 and 64 bit os. The reason why theyre still making 32 bit OS-s is that theyre cheaper and smaller and less buggy. Also some older compiters may not work with the 64 bit OS

Not sure. But I do know 64-bit is the way to go. Because you can

like have 3 web browsers open and switch back and forth from

one to the with no problem. Also when your Antivirus program

runs a scan it don't slow your computer where 32-bit will slow

your computer way down. I would never have 32-bit again.

Source(s): Computer Technician
  • Fola

I have no clue why in year 2014 Microsoft still makes 32bit operating systems.For almost 10 years now all computers are 64bit capable and I doubt anyone would install windows 7 or 8 on a prehistoric Pentium 4