Do you think Russia should host the olympic games?

I would like to hear what others think. In addition,i would like to know if you think that the Olympics, being held in Russia, should be used as a way to bring awareness to the issue of gay rights.

Favorite Answer

I see a lot of layers to your question. Let's unpack them and address them one at a time.

Should Russia host the Olympics? Yes. Sochi bid on the Olympics and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) awarded them to Sochi.

Should there be protests against the Russian anti-LGBT laws. That's up to the individuals. I don't agree with those laws at all. But I'm not going to Russia. So I won't be protesting there and risking winding up in a Russian prison. It's not my place to order others to endanger their freedom so because my sensibilities have been offended. As for the athletes, I don't expect them to protest. They're in Sochi to win medals, not protest a sovereign nation's domestic laws. Besides, they have too much on the line.

Not asked, but the logical follow-up: Should the IOC have awarded the Olympics to Sochi? No way. Forget the anti-LGBT laws -- they hadn't been written in 2007. But anyone with a map and newspaper subscription knew that Russia was having serious problems with separatists in the nearby Caucasus areas like Dagestan, Chechnya, and South Ossetia. Things like the Moscow theater attack, attack in Beslam (sp?), and lots of armed skirmishes. Since Putin attached himself so closely to these Olympics, the Olympics would become a target for terrorism. Why the IOC chose to ignore the obvious catastrophe potential will always be a mystery to me. Well, unless Putin paid the IOC members off. And I mean really, really paid them off.

Source(s): I'm an Olympics junkie.

The IOC has made several poor choices in the past, but the gay issue is not a factor.

Politics and internal government policies should not be a part of the Olympics, this is about getting along and sport, not trying to change countries.

They have as much right as any other country.

Maybe not the whole Olympics but openly gay competitors should be focused on when competing.