For those of you who read Through the Looking-Glass, do you think Alice dreamt of the Red King?

Or did the Red King dream of Alice? At the end of the book Alice believed the Red King was part of her dream and she was part of his. I've read that Lewis Carroll took drugs so he had lots of dreams/hallucinations sorta conscious on the real vs. illusion.

What if Lewis Carroll was the Red King? Could a character from a book ever be aware of its author? If she became aware of him would she become a character in the physical world? Yeah I'm losing the thread here but could she dream of things she's not aware of? Such as people from the physical world?

Could hallucinations be a glimpse into another world, anything. Or nothing at all. It feels like they have less relevance than we what we see with our eyes but maybe just the hallucinations themselves? Reaching I know.

Yeah lots of satire and logic stuff running about.

So a lot of his writings were personalized? I've heard he had personally known some children he was very fond of

• Vamp
    Best Answer

I don't where you got the "Lewis Carroll took drugs" from but it is not true to say that he took recreational drugs. The "Alice" stories are immensely complex containing satire and logic problems, which are also present in his other works as well.

One problem with "Alice" is that they are stories written for children - in this case, specific children. A lot of the satire and poking fun at people is directed at people who would have been known to the children concerned. Equally Lewis was a mathematician who wrote books about recreation maths and who often offered logic problems as a form of amusement. It is dangerous to read the books from an adult point-of-view as though they are containing some "message".

Lewis was the original for the Dodo in "Wonderland"

As for the conceit of a character in a book being aware of the author - it is a form of metafiction that is used elsewhere by other authors.

Finally, hallucinations and what people see in them is dependent on the cause of the hallucination, the personality of the person hallucinating and outside stimulus. Iit can be possible to predict what is causing an hallucination from the description of the hallucination. Hallucinations, however they seem, tend to be firmly rooted in this world.

Writings under the influence of hallucinations often lack any continuity and connectivity. It sometimes claimed that hallucination enhances or causes creativity. Little worth having has been produced in these circumstances although memories of hallucinations do inform the descriptions in some gothic literature by opium-abusers.

I am afraid this is a bit of a gallop through the points you raise because there are rather a lot of them.