Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 6 years ago

In Western civilisation, is female-on-male violence as prevalent as the reverse?

I've been struck several times before by different females, but I wouldn't suggest it is as common as some people suggest it is here.

That said, I have never seen a man strike a woman in my life. I'm not implying it doesn't happen, but is this because men are much more cunning with their female battery compared to women?

Update:

Marcus - I'm not ridiculing the MRA's stance on female-on-male violence. I'm just intrigued as to how each gender projects DV.

In addition, women *do* get a pass, there's no denying it. And there's no denying that male genital mutilation is viewed as comedic and often 'justified' in Western society, for example.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Regular violence or domestic?

"To study the potential differences that distinguish homicides involving women as victims or offenders from those involving men, we analyzed Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports data on homicides that occurred in the United States between 1976 and 1987. Only cases that involved victims aged 15 years or older were included. Persons killed during law enforcement activity and cases in which the victim's gender was not recorded were excluded. A total of 215,273 homicides were studied, 77% of which involved male victims and 23% female victims."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1635092

"In 2008, the rate of police-reported physical assaults against men (779 per 100,000 population) was slightly greater than that for women (711 per 100,000 population). However, male and female victims reported different types of physical assault. Females were more likely than males to be victims of common assault, the form of assault resulting in the least serious physical injury (576 per 100,000 females and 484 per 100,000 males), while males were more likely than females to be victims of more serious forms of physical assault (Table 1, Table 2)."

"In general, women most often reported being victimized by men regardless of crime type, and this was the case as well for male victims. Men were considered the accused in 81% of cases of violent victimization against women, and in 79% of cases of violent victimization against males; whereas females accounted for 10% of victimizations against females and 10% against males. These findings are supported by results from other studies in the United States, where the majority of perpetrators that came to the attention of the criminal justice system were men (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2006; Heimer and Lauritsen, 2008; U.S. Department of Justice, 2009)."

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033m/2010024/part...

However, "in a 1995-1996 study conducted in the 50 States and the District of Columbia, nearly 25% of women and 7.6% of men were raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, or dating partner/acquaintance at some time in their lifetime (based on survey of 16,000 participants, equally male and female)."

"Approximately 1.3 million women and 835,000 men are physically assaulted by an intimate partner annually in the United States."

"According to the U.S. Department of Justice, between 1998 and 2002:

Of the almost 3.5 million violent crimes committed against family members, 49% of these were crimes against spouses.

84% of spouse abuse victims were females, and 86% of victims of dating partner abuse at were female.

Males were 83% of spouse murderers and 75% of dating partner murderers

50% of offenders in state prison for spousal abuse had killed their victims. Wives were more likely than husbands to be killed by their spouses: wives were about half of all spouses in the population in 2002, but 81% of all persons killed by their spouse.

Matthew R. Durose et al., U.S. Dep't of Just., NCJ 207846, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Family Violence Statistics: Including Statistics on Strangers and Acquaintances, at 31-32 (2005), available at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fvs.pdf"

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/domestic_violenc...

Long story short, men are more likely to be victims of homicide and heavy violence (though not necessarily by women), but women are more likely to have that done by a partner. Male on male violence is the most prevalent, and male on female DV is the most prevalent. However, this does not mean that men can't be victims of DV and women can't be victims of general violence. Many men suffer from DV and many women suffer from general violence. It's just that we were comparing which one is bigger.

Some more info: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033m/2010024/part...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

One of the things that muddies that water is total number of incidents of any kind vs. more serious violence. Remember under VAWA name-calling constitutes an act of violence. By that definition, I should think almost everyone, male or female has been a victim of violence from the other gender.

http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/domviolence.htm

Similarly, there are many studies that show women initiate more domestic violence than men, but it does not mean that men end up getting the worst of it. Most studies show that while more women initiate the violence, women overall get beat up a bit more.

http://washingtondv.org/?page_id=2

The feminist created Duluth model of violence claims men are almost always the perpetrators of violence and that it is incredibly rare for women to. This has been proven false time and time again, yet it remains a core belief in police response.

• I would definitely say so.

Female-on-male violence isn't taken as seriously as the reverse, therefore people seemingly ignore female-on-male violence in public situations. Some men here have even said they would only judge the public male victim as wimpy or weak.

Personally, I have rarely seen either types of violence. The first time I ever say a proper domestic violence case was yesterday, and I didn't know how to react.

----------------------

For example, I was watching a program called 'I Survived Evil.' This program allows victims of serious crimes to tell others about how they survived evil.

One of the cases involved a gentle black man that was almost executed by a deranged ex-partner. She even told the Police she was going to return and murder him, but they didn't take the threats seriously. She shot him 5 times, point blank.

We all know those kinds of threats would have resulted in more action if the victim was female, and it truly sickens me. The man was lucky to survive.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Depends on the scenario.

In domestic situations, women are actually SLIGHTLY MORE likely to attack men than the other way around:

http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm

That's domestic violence - which is certainly not all violence. And of course, who starts the fight is little indication of who is going to end the fight. Since men are stronger, heavier, and often better trained at fighting, regardless of who starts the fight, it usually doesn't go as well for the woman (at least in terms of who gets physically hurt):

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/V75-Straus-09.pd

Why people are calling this misinformation when don't seem to have any information or resources of their own is not clear to me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marcus
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Cue the MRA Misinformtaion Brigade in 5...4...

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Yes because many western men are heavily sisified by their feminist mothers beside western people are very self centered and divided into various factions like genderwise, polticalwise, etc.. so they don't very care about their own family and children. western women even conspire against their own husband and children.

most of western women marry a man thinking how she takes the child support and alimony when divorce from the husband. so they are not even sure about their future and they don't even trust their partner. western men tend to hide their assets from their own wives and western women conspire from the beginning to take over their husband's assets and kick him out when found a better husband than him (better relative to her) western women are like real cave women. because they move from man to man whenever they found a better man (better is relative to them) they don't even care about their own children.

they heavily rely on sex and if the guy is not interesting sex she will kick him off even when she has a lot of children.. can you believe? I know a Filipino family and they have so many family issues but they never divorce because of children I am not saying to get beaten from man and stay I am saying abandoning the family for small issues is so stupid.

there are many more about western people

their children go wild ,lose the virginity at 12, have sex with everyone,use drugs, use a lot of bad words, they don't have good manners, they don't know what is right and what is wrong the law has to teach them everything , they are not religious so they don't care about spiritual side, they don't care about poors and helping people all they care whine whine whine how they are oppressed all the time and help their own faction because of their own insecurities (like women help women, transngeders help transgeders instead of people help people) and western people also good at spreading propaganda and enforce other nations to follow their values instead of respecting other cultures.

but Eastern women in other hand work really hard to retain their family and children. eastern women fight for their family but western women fight for other women neglecting their own husband and sons.

no wonder why so many western men tend to come here asia and marry our women. because eastern women (except those heavily westernized women yeah even in here there are heavily westernized people they are a disgrace to our own culture) are very feminine, caring, family oriented, and protective, actually they are very polite and good. and better house wives. oh and now don't say eastern men are abuse it's actually only few

in eastern culture. mother, sister, wife are most respected.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.