Whats The Connection between Capitalism And Genocide?

How does capitalism and industrialization connect with Genocide?

Specifically the Armenian Genocide, Holocaust and the genocide involving the natives? I am very lost and just need a better understanding of it. If someone could give me a detailed answer, that would be very appreciated. I just need some help so I can start off this essay/news article. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Capitalism is all about efficiency. Eugenics was a popular movement in the early 1900s because of capitalism and the theory of evolution. Someone might've thought "wouldn't the human race be better if we just killed off stupid, disabled, or deformed people?". Another person might think "If everyone in my business was extremely fit and extremely intelligent, my business would be much better off, I wouldn't have to deal with their errors and failures."

Hitler's theories were largely based off eugenics. He saw Jews as lesser beings, akin to mentally disabled people. Hitler dreamed of an ultimate Aryan race across his empire. So he wanted to kick out all of the slavs and jews from eastern europe to make way for germans. This is largely the same thought process behind the Native Genocide and Armenian Genocide. The Americans wanted to kick the Natives out and make way for the superior settlers, the Turks wanted to kick out the Armenians and make way for the superior Turkish.

There is a strong connection between the nature of the Capitalist economies, and the Genocide of various peoples. The first an obvious connection is the one you pointed out - the Armenian Genocide. Those familiar with the genocide of the Jewish and non-Jewish peoples in Germany and Europe from 1933-1945 will also understand the connection between the economics built around enslavement and genocide. I.G. Farben and I.B.M were just two capitalist corporations that had an economic interest in genocide. Capitalism maintains and defends the wealth of a nation in the hands of the very few - while the majority spend their lives working to support this type of system. Anyone, be they socialists, communists, or Jews who suffered state-sanctioned racism, who threaten the small business/land owning class can or have ended up being eliminated to maintain the economic interests of a few.

Any connection is coincidental. The history of capitalism goes back 500+ years. Raphael Lemkin coined the word genocide, but not until the 1930's.

Hitler was strongly capitalist. He despised communism. In a communist community everyone is treated equally and most jobs revolve around industry (industrialisation). Hitler did not see all people as equal, like he would have behaved were he a commmunist, he hated jews which was the reason for the holocaust, which was an example of genocide.

• ?

No connection at all