Nick asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why was interracial marriage legalized in the U.S. relatively recently?

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

So interracial marriage was illegal before 1967. I am sure 90% of the countries in the world never had such ban.

Update:

@jery - you suck even as a troll...just sayin'.

Update 2:

@Leo: Thanks, this sounds interesting, but still 20 states is nearly half of all states...so it's something.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Recent in what sense? It was pretty long ago.

South Africa had bans on IR marriage until 1994.

I think the DPRK has some sort of rules against it too in some way or another.

"90% of the countries in the world never had such ban. "

90% of countries didn't have black populations like America.

• Leo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Interracial marriage was not illegal in the entire country before the Loving decision, just in about 20 states.

UPDATE: If this is a subject that interests you then I suggest you watch the movie "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". It's about a couples reaction to finding out that their daughter plans to marry a black man. It's a terrific movie with a great cast. But one of the things that's interesting is that it was made right before the Loving decision, when interracial marriage was still illegal in parts of the US. The fact that the couple would be breaking the law in parts if the country comes up in the dialog.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

It's Southern frustration at the cancellation of slavery. It resonated throughout 1860-1960 when discriminatory laws were imposed. It was not so much hate for blacks- before the Civil War, the South had much less people in it than the North, and it hadn't reached the point in economic development when wages were more profitable than slavery. Hence, the whole Southern economy was dependent on slavery. When it was forced to cancel it it left it in economic shatters and streams of bankrupts White people with a scapegoating anger at the black people who they viewed as the reason for their poverty, and laws such as Jim Crow followed.

Slavery and discrimination is, of course, bad, but you have to understand why some people think and feel in certain ways.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Because the same segment of the nation fighting against marriage equality now..... was fighting it tooth and nail THEN too.

It always takes a Federal action to prevent bigots from imposing their bigotry via the law upon a minority. Sad... but true.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Many white Americans wanted to make sure the white race would not become mongrelized as we see happening more and more in the U.S.

Source(s): Just visit any large urban or even semi rural area in the US and you will find a plethora of mixed race children.
  • 7 years ago

Jerry sounds like some ignorant redneck, "gay is a choice". Dude, get your head out of the 50's.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Do your research next time.

Go ahead insult me. I don't care

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Because it was illegal before.

• 7 years ago

yes, relatively recently..segregation is not that long ago

• 7 years ago

and your point, gay boy? Gay is a choice. it includes an action. Race is a state of being. Go ahead. Delete it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.