UK ancestry citizenship?

My parents have grandparents born in the UK and Germany and Romania. If they got citizenship through ancestry for one of these places would I also be able to get citizenship? My grandparents aren't citizens and I would really like to get citizenship but can't get it through great grandparents.

Thanks

actually i know that the UK allows ancestry through grandparents.

Favorite Answer

The UK does not allow you to claim citizenship through a grandparent, if you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country yu may be allowed to claim an Ancestry VISA (not citizenship) through your British born grandparents but it is NOT citizenship - it can set you on the road to citizenship by naturalisation if a visa is granted

Your best bet to try & claim citizenship through a grandparent would be to try Romania but don't hold your breath - neither the UK nor Germany allow citizenship to be claimed through a grandparent

No way! Very, very few countries allow any claim to citizenship through grandparents, and only in rather specific & limited circumstances. NONE of these countries allow it.

Germany is particularly strict. In fact until quite recently, Germany only allowed German citizenship if the father was a German citizen at the time of a legitimate (in other words, the parents had to be married!) birth. There was no citizenship through mother, except in illegitimate birth with father unknown.

Your parents grand-parents are your great-great-grand parents, you would not qualify for U.K residency vis citizenship under the ancestry rules.

• John

Not possible