Is it illegal for an 18 y/o to date a 14 y/o in Canada?

No I am not a pedo, I asked this a while back and all I got were comments on how I was a pedo.

I am 15 years old and I am currently trying to write a story about this, but since It takes place in Canada I don't quite know the laws about it! So is it Illegal? if it is, what provinces/territorys is it illegal/legal in?

Please do not just comment your opinion, I need actually law about it.

Also do not call me a Pedo because I am a 15 year old girl, just trying to write a love story.

Thanks.

Sara, I know that, it's an odd sortve love story, barely even one,

Also, I didn't mean SEXUAL relations. Just a normal relationship

• bw022
    Favorite Answer

There is no law in Canada limiting dating of anyone of any age.

The age of consent in Canada is 16, but it includes two close-in-age exceptions -- two years for those 12 and 13, and five years for those 14 and 15. At 14 and 18 they could have a sexual relationship and it would be legal in Canada. The age is raised to 18 is either party is in a position of trust of authority (step parent, councillor, police officer, teacher, judge, baby sitter, etc.). Age is set in the Criminal Code of Canada and was raised from a flat 14 in the 2006 Tackling Violent Crime Act, pass parliament in 2008.

This said... if you want any shred of reasonability in your story... almost no parents would allow their 14 year old daughter to date an 18 year old. Most would tell the guy to get lost, file a restraining order, move their daughter to relatives, be phoning his parents, etc.

If there's no sexual contact, then no laws are engaged. "Dating" is not something legislators concern themselves with.

In Canada, the general 'age of consent' (for sexual contact) is 16, but there's a 'close-in-age' clause permitting sexual relationships between people 14-15 and others no more than five years older. There are exceptions - if the older person is in a position of trust or authority, or the relationship is otherwise exploitative, it can be illegal. (There's also an archaic and probably-unconstitutional clause still in the criminal code prohibiting sodomy involving people under 18.) But, generally, there are no legal concerns about a relationship between a 14-year-old and 18-year-old in Canada.

I don't really agree with the implausibility suggested by bw. 14 and 18 can easily be a Grade 9/Grade 12 relationship, which is not unheard of, nor even that uncommon, nor necessarily going to be prohibited by parents. (I knew of a few such relationships in my high school days, and while it does kind of raise questions about the guy, they weren't generally a big controversy.) Besides which, 'restraining orders' are not that easy to get.

14 and 18 is not that bad, people need to go after real pedos, its pretty damn ridiculous that people are so freaking concerned over a 4 year age difference when there are 40 year old men messing with teenage girls. In the state where I live in in the US, it is illegal to date someone under the age of 18, UNLESS there is only a 4 year age difference between you and that person. So a 20 year old can date a 16 year old. They made this law because so many people were screaming rape over 18 year olds with 17 year olds. As for Canada, I'm not sure of the laws over there, but your story is legal under the laws in my state. Plus, its a story lol, even if you wrote it about a 40 year old with a teen, it's a story. Stories can be anything you want, there are authors who write about nothing but illegal stuff.

No it isn't. A 15 yo could (and this would be awkward as ever) date a 25 year old with no problems. Though the age gap will probably prevent your relationship from working out. Your really a kid still and he/she is a young adult.

So yeah no worries.

• Hii

That is so cool that you're a writer!

I think it is illegal for a minor and an adult to have sexual relations, but if its PG then they're good. At least in the USA its like that

Luck!!

• Anika

Yeah, this is a pretty awful story. Why would an adult want anything to do with a child?

• Sara

Its not a love story when an adult is going after a child. Its really pretty much a sick idea.