Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why do some people believe that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man is?

These are usually the same sort of people who you see griping about 'intellectual elitists'.

@ L.T.M.: No, I'm asking why some people think that being clever makes you predisposed to be amoral when there's really no reason to believe that.

@ L.T.M.: No, not that either. You just switched your words around there, it still means the same thing.

@ L.T.M.: Well, I can prove that wrong right now. I hate my prime minister, Stephen Harper. I absolutely do no agree with his conservative political views. But I acknowledge that he's a clever person. Q.E.D. .

There seems to be an unspoken assumption in American politics that "intellectual" is a synonym for "elitist," and therefore of "bad." It's even become something of a ritual in American politics for presidential contenders in both parties to compete for which candidate can seem the most like "just regular folk." This gets particularly funny in those elections when both candidates went to Ivy League or similarly acclaimed schools. This is what I'm asking about.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

In the end, was the clever man really clever if his whole life was wasted on deception? Can we really coinize someone as being stupid because they are honest?

• ?

There are some logical arguments to lead one to believe that. I don't think in the end either is necessarily more honest.

Ethics can be understood by even the youngest children. A 4 year old knows not to steal a toy or borrow one without permission or intent to give it back. Humans quickly learn to BS their way around ethics though. A kid might grow up a bit and then learn to baffle another kid with excuses as to why he should be allowed to steal from the first one. In the end, the one that baffles the other with the most BS and causes the other to give up finally wins. Ethics do not change with intelligence because they are the foundation of intelligence. The person who dispenses with ethics has all the devil's wisdom at their command.

The stupid person is not smart enough to lie convincingly. That pretty much describes both Barack and Hillary.

• L.T.M.

So you're implying a clever man can't be an honest man. I disagree.

Source(s): http://www.cmgww.com/historic/rogers/ Okay, so you're implying an honest man can't be a clever man? Yeah I blew off your 'stupid man' comment because my bet is your definition is anyone who opposes your view of the world.

Being simple is more easier. It allows one to concentrate on other things.

Ask your Communist college teachers.