Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why do some people believe that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man is?

These are usually the same sort of crybabies you see griping about 'intellectuals' or 'elitists'. There seems to be an unspoken assumption in American politics that "intellectual" is a synonym for "elitist," and therefore of "bad." It's even become something of a ritual in American politics for presidential contenders in both parties to compete for which candidate can seem the most like "just regular folk." This gets particularly funny in those elections when both candidates went to Ivy League or similarly acclaimed schools. This is what I'm asking about. When did intelligence become an undesirable trait in politicians?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They assume the clever man has always some hidden untold intention for his own benefit while the stupid man is too dumb to come up with a mental plan of the same magnitude.

• 7 years ago

Intelligence isn't the problem. Dishonesty is. I'd rather have an honest politician of average intelligence than an exceptionally smart one who lies as often as he blinks.

• 7 years ago

It's not that stupid people are more honest, it's that when they lie, they are much more likely to fail because they aren't smart enough to hide it.

The "elitism is bad" thing goes back centuries, and is much more based on jealousy than honesty. People who make no effort to learn things then resent the people who do.

• 7 years ago

Because a clever man is able to portray himself as both clever and honest, even if he is not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Most stupid men are to stupid to hack my bank account or steal my credut card!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

That is because people who are highly intelligent are more likely to be self-aware of that intelligence, thus giving them an excuse to be prideful in that intelligence. It seems like a tragic waste.

• wtinc
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If that were the case then the prisons would not be full.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Forrest Gump for president!

I really mean it too, or would if it were possible.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

ever see the movie "Being There"?

Source(s): the movie "Being There"
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Your premise is false.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.