What is your favorite political quotes?

Mine are:

Dissent is the greatest form of patriotism - Thomas Jefferson

If men are to be precluded from offering their sentiments on a matter which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences that can invite the consideration of mankind, reason is of no use to us; the freedom of speech may be taken away, and dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter - George Washington

Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men’s views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.” - Woodrow Wilson

• Favorite Answer

"What is your favorite political quotes?" , when posed by someone with a PhD, is as good as any I've read.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth

Abe Linclon

• Sean

I have a lot of favorites;

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."

Winston Churchill

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

George Orwell

"A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him."

Alexis de Tocqueville

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Voltaire

'They who, from indifference, or with their eyes open, persist in hugging the traitor to their bosom, deserve to be insulted... deserve to be slaves, with no other music to soothe them but the clank of the chains which they have put on themselves and given to their offspring.'

John Randolph

"Men who look upon themselves born to reign, and others to obey, soon grow insolent. Selected from the rest of mankind, their minds are early poisoned by importance; and the world they act in differs so materially from the world at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, and when they succeed in the government are frequently the most ignorant and unfit of any throughout the dominions."

Thomas Paine

“I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it”

Alexis De Tocqueville

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

― Charles Bukowski

The destiny of America is always safer in the hands of the people than in the conference rooms of any elite.

― George McGovern

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

― Noam Chomsky

The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Working Men of All Countries, Unite!

• Turtle

Most of them come from Thoreau. I do not like naivety.

"If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life." - Henry David Thoreau

The greatest threat to freedom, is freedom. President Lincoln

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public...PT Barnum

My favorite.......

"If you like your current insurance policy, you can keep your current insurance policy"

"Forward?", I ask.

"Hope and change?"

More Kool-Aid?

Anyone?

"Democracy is the spawn of despotism and like father, like son. Remember: It's not the will of the people; it's the will of the majority." - B.F. Skinner.