Should I get a diploma in Business with my Engineering degree?

I in my third year in Electrical engineering, going to specialize specifically in both, Power systems and Control Systems once I get to fourth year. However, chances, are I will not be graduating next year due to outstanding courses that I still haven't taken from second year, so I will have to stay an extra year doing about 4 courses.

My friend advised me to take advantage of that extra year and take Business courses to obtain a diploma in Business. Normally in my university, if you finish ten courses, then they will give you the diploma on top of the Bachelor's degree that your studying. My question is, is it worth the time and effort to add the diploma to my degree? Will it actually benefit me in the long run? My friend says it will help me increase my chances to obtain a management position faster, but I'm skeptical if that is the reality of it.

What do you think? I don't want to take a step that I will regret later on.

Please advice

thanks.

Favorite Answer

Your friend may have a point. It will be a waste of time to stay in school for a full year due to a few courses only so why not use that extra time to get a diploma in something? Instead of business though, I suggest choosing something closer to your engineering degree instead.

Hey Mujjy, I agree with Lyn.

I would go with something like project management, rather than business studies. Project management goes hand in hand with engineering.

Take it from me, I qualified with 1st class honors in electrical & instrumentation systems. I am an electrical engineer who has worked in a steel works and now works in the construction inductry on large multi-million pound projects. Project management and planning are essential to an engineer's role.

Hope this helps.