Should welfare bums who have children but spend their checks on booze have those kids taken?

Favorite Answer

YES, but it won't happen because you cannot buy booze. Good try!

• Andy F

AFAIK, this already happens to some extent. It depends on the jurisdiction & the social workers involved, though.

One problem with taking kids from their parents, even when the parents are irresponsible drunks, is that the parent-child bond is really hard to break, and really important for most kids. When the state takes a kid away from a parent deemed "unfit," the kid doesn't always do well afterwards.

Also, there are sometimes real problems with abusive foster parents who exploit or abuse the kids in their care. Although there also are foster parents that are really wonderful.

Orphanages have a terrible reputation, from everything I've heard & read.

So whether to remove the kids from a bad home is a tough judgment call to make. Your question makes it sound as if you're trivializing it somewhat.

• Turtle

Nobody on welfare should be allowed to spend their money on anything but basic beans, rice, milk, and stuff very similar. That's how I survived when poor. I don't care if it is their personal money. If someone is going to put a gun to my head and frisk property taxes out of me, then they should not buy even a candy bar until they are off benefits.

Dimwit tony's ignorance trick works on the duller among us whether he does it unknowingly or on purpose. People on benefits use their "personal money" to buy crap like that and then use the food stamps to buy the food. But if they have enough personal money to buy booze, they should not have welfare aid to that extent. The aid is to provide for their gap between having food and not, not to make up for their gap for having booze or not.

There are no such things as welfare checks. There are TANF cards, and those cards are pre-programmed to allow only authorized purchases. If booze purchase is prohibited, then no cardholder could use TANF benefits to pay for booze.

Geez, you would think it's still 1955. Your name is "Liberal Logic is an Oxymoron." Based on this question, I would have to conclude that "conservative knowledge" is an oxymoron.

What are you going to ask about next? Whether prohibition should be ended? Whether women should have the vote?

• meg

All unfit parents should have their kids taken from then. Being rich does not mean you can abuse your children.

• ?

It would make more sense to me to take their welfare checks and let them keep their children. Perhaps then they would get hungry, and this might cause them to get out of bed in the morning, get dressed, and go out to find a job.

Taken where? To foster homes where that and worse will happen?

Are you trying to help the kids or punish the parents? You snatch happy people don't think very far ahead, do you?