I have a 94 mustang gt and looking for a cheap way to get posi?

what modes can i grab a rear end off of at a junk yard.

• Brent
    Favorite Answer

^^^

Trak-locs usually lose the tension in the clutches before long and they need to be adjusted.

That's your cheap way to get limited slip/posi/whatever.

I don't recommend installing a full time pos unit if you're gonna be driving it on the street.It becomes very dangerous when you're going around curves,etc.The trac lock rearend that's in it now works just like a spool until you go around curves then the clutch packs applies more traction to the wheel that needs it most.If your car has a lot of miles on it,the clutch packs probably just need replacement.If its a track only car then a full spool is a good idea.I believe most of the 8.8,s came with the trac lock,so a spool might not exist from the factory

I am surprised that your GT doesn't already have posi. But your rear end is probably a ford 8.8 differential. I would look at other mustangs, Ford trucks would be too wide I think.

For roughly a grand, give or take, you can have a Detroit Locker installed in your 8.8 and for maybe 300 more, a different gear set (ratio). Tho' the locker makes some odd noises (normal) it is very strong and you won't break it, assuming you keep the proper fluid type and level.

The 8.8 itself is also a very tough rear, nearly as good as the old 9".

Your car came from the factory with Ford's Trac-loc LSD. The trac-loc unit may need a rebuild if you have more than 120k on the car though.