What do you think are the most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED styles of beers?

Favorite Answer

Under rated: Kolsches, wheats, ESBs, and session styles.

Over rated: Lights and flavored stouts.

I had a great ESB at Timber Creek last night. Right now I'm having a seasonal IPA from Lagunitas.

I think it's possible that 'barrel-aging' is on trend right now. I haven't had all the ones that everything thinks are so good...but I've had a few. They are good but I paid over $7 for a 12ounce bottle of KBS and I liked it but wouldn't pay that much again.

Underrated styles --- Not a particular style, but session beers I think are underrated/under appreciated. Something with a low alcohol content that just hits the spot. Everyone is always chasing something barrel-aged, or 2xIPA, or Barleywine.....which are all great styles when you're in the mood. But I think sometimes a beer that's solid but only has ~5% or lower ABV gets missed.

Overrated: Micro brews and flavored beers, the ones that are apple and lemon flavored? Seriously? I think wheat beer is getting pretty overrated, too.

Underrated: Oatmeal stouts and amber brews. Both so delicious and wonderful, yet not too many people know about these. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Meh, more for me!

Underrated -

Saison/Farmhouse Ale - to me this is one of the best styles but they don't seem to get enough love.

Smoked Beer - again, not enough love for this style. Some of the German made Smoke Beers (aka Rauchbier) are some of my favorites.

Overrated -

IPA/Pale Ale - There are some that I like a lot but those are usually the ones that are on the sweet side, the ones that taste like mango/pineapple/orange are VERY impressive but It just seems like most of them are just bitter for the sake of being bitter. whatever....

Light Lager/Adjunct Lager - I still can't figure out why this style of beer is so popular? I guess people just want a cheap beverage that has alcohol in it. There are no redeeming qualities at all to this beer style. It's garbage, yet, it is the biggest selling style in the world... go figure???

overrated: Bud Light and Coors Light

underated: Busch Light, Keystone Light

If your trying to save a few bucks and are constantly buying 12 or 30 packs of Coors or Buds try Busch and/or Keystone for a change. If I'm not mistaken Bud and Busch are made from the same companies Keystone is made by the Coors company.

About 9 of my buddies and I filled up about a shot of the different beers and each took 4 shots of beer to see if we could "name that beer" persay. The results were not good in that many of us couldn't tell the difference between bud/busch and coors/keystone

That's my 2cents!

Source(s): College Student :D