Am i obligated to work on my day off?

I was just recently given my Fridays off (the clinic is very slow, so there was no need for me to be there) about 2 weeks ago. I was informed about this on that Wednesday and on Thursday, I was told I had to go in because the schedule was double-booked (the receptionist and other nurse was not aware that my schedule was cut).

I also work at another clinic, so I informed them that I am now available on Fridays. I know work occasionally on fridays at that office.

So here's my issue. Someone told me that they are giving one of the receptionist a day off this coming friday. I already have other commitments and seeing that there is clearly a lack of communication going on, I'm worried that they are going to ask me to work - despite the fact that they told absolutely no more fridays. Am I obligated to take that shift even though I am given only a 2 day notice?

To expand; when I had to work on that friday, there was a lot of tension because there was no need for me to be there except for a 30 minute appointment. They are very strict with their work budget, so the fact that I had to go to work when it wasn't busy was a huge deal.

• michr
    Favorite Answer

1) you have assumed that because someone else has a day off that you will be asked to work, and assuming anything is a HUGE mistake

2) no one can make you work, but if you don't do as asked you must be ready to accept the consequences of your choice

3) your added details make no sense, why would you doing what was asked cause tension unless YOU caused that tension yourself... the work budget was/is not the issue, the fact that you think you did not need to be there is the issue.

4) the laws that apply to how much notice you must be given vary based on where you are....

in the US unless you have a contract that specifically states otherwise you work when the employer needs you to work, and failure to do so opens you up to disciplinary action such as termination

Obligated? No. Will management frown down on you? You bet. Unless you absolutely cannot take the shift, then work it.