bonkz asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 years ago

eating too much in recovery from anorexia?

so I'm recovering on my own from anorexia (I was at a BMI of 16.8, now at a relatively healthy BMI of 18.7) and it seems that I eat way too much. Like, I'm not particularly hungry but I'll eat and sometimes it'll get out of hand. I do light cardio every day, but my net intake still racks up to 4000-6000 calories some days (I try not to count calories but from what I can tell, I think it hovers around there, more or less). Even if I'm physically full with a distended/bloated stomach, I'll go and reach for something else to munch on. I mean, it's relatively healthy food. Oatmeal, fresh and dried fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. I juice daily and throw in some refined foods like granola bars, whole grain tortilla chips with salsa and cereals (trying not to restrict and be raw). I was vegan before my anorexia ensued, and I plan on adhering to this diet. Also, it doesn't seem like a binge. Like, I'm not numbed with the the idea of eating and I don't gorge my food down (I know what a binge feels like, and this situation just seems really different as I'm more mindful). Anyways, is this normal? has anyone else experienced this? If so, does this go on indefinitely? I seriously want to start eating intuitively and recognize when I'm full and stop there, but I just keep eating. How do I suppress my appetite? I'm tired of eating all the time, I have stuff to do but I'm constantly reaching for food throughout the day. Any tips on how to stop or deal with this? Please help. I want my relationship with food to go back to normal!

*Insight on how I ate today:

Breakfast - water based oatmeal with flax seed, chopped apricots, a banana, strawberry and dates, with a side of cereal (1 cup of cereal with 1/3 cup almond milk) and 3 dried figs

Snack - 1/2 cup of cereal with 1/3 cup of almond milk, 3/4 cup of cashews, 2 dried figs

Lunch - massive bowl of broiled veggies (zucchini, celery, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, snap peas, and like two other veggies) with tomato paste and balsamic vinaigrette as 'dressing'

Snack - like 20 - 30 tortilla chips with a homemade veggie salsa dip, mango green tea (juice like, from a boba place, without tapioca)

Dinner - water/ice based smoothie of banana, 5 dried apricots and 5 dates. Had two granola bars and later munched on a vegan waffle bowl, and drank 3 glasses of vanilla almond milk*

p.s. some days I eat even more, calorie and variety wise... when will this stop!

I drink 2 litres of water everyday to try to imitate the feeling of fullness but it doesn't help

Oh, and I'm soooooooooo tired all the time..

Favorite Answer

OK. DISCLAIMER I'm not a doctor or nutritionist and I haven't been there. Just my thoughts for what they're worth and I don't say they're worth much.

There is not a lot of solid food there which helps make you feel more full. Maybe if you had some lentils in your vegetable salad for lunch it would help. You may need more B vitamins and iron.

What you are eating now doesn't seem masses to me. It might be that your idea of what it is to feel full and distended is kind of askew.

Plus while your current BMI is a big improvement and if you are under 18 may even just be in the healthy range it is still pretty low. Depending on your build you might still be quite underweight so that you need the extra calories to get healthy. You have lots of rebuilding to do.

I wonder if it would be good for you to do some weight bearing exercises as well as cardio. It improves bone density as well as muscle, both of which you might need.

You really need to ask a doctor about this. Health is important.

• Julia

have you ever heard of mindfulness or mindful eating?? Its a technique to help you get back in tune with your body and appetite.

Principles of Mindfulness:

Mindfulness is deliberately paying attention, non-judgmentally, in the present moment.

Mindfulness encompasses both internal processes and external environments.

Mindfulness is being aware of your thoughts, emotions and physical sensations in the present moment.

With practice, mindfulness cultivates the possibility of freeing yourself of reactive, habitual patterns of thinking, feeling and acting.

Mindfulness promotes balance, choice, wisdom and acceptance of what is.

Mindful Eating is:

Allowing yourself to become aware of the positive and nurturing opportunities that are available through food selection and preparation by respecting your own inner wisdom.

Using all your senses in choosing to eat food that is both satisfying to you and nourishing to your body.

Acknowledging responses to food (likes, dislikes or neutral) without judgment.

Becoming aware of physical hunger and satiety cues to guide your decisions to begin and end eating.

Someone Who Eats Mindfully:

Acknowledges that there is no right or wrong way to eat but varying degrees of awareness surrounding the experience of food.

Accepts that their eating experiences are unique.

Is an individual who by choice, directs their attention to eating on a moment-by-moment basis.

Gains awareness of how they can make choices that support health and well being.

Becomes aware of the interconnection of earth, living beings, and cultural practices and the impact of their food choices on those systems.