Need info about Charlotte, NC?

I will be moving to Charlotte in a few months, and my company is only giving me a few days to find a home. Everyone in the office is recommending a different neighborhood! Our office is southwest of downtown. I want to find a condo with a 1st floor master bedroom in a quiet area where I might be able to retire in a few years. I'd love to find new construction and be able to pick some of my own finishes. Any tips on where to ask the realtor to focus the search, or suggestions for particular neighborhoods? Is living in South Carolina really so much more tax friendly?

Also - what is the best thing about living in Charlotte? Favorite mall and grocery store(s)? Is natural gas heating available? Are Bobcats basketball tickets available? What's the worst thing about living in Charlotte?

Thanks - this is a big move, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Favorite Answer

While mostly known as a business and banking city, Uptown Charlotte has plenty to see and do. The NoDa district is also a haven for artists and has many fine galleries. There's loads to see and do across the city, you really need to visit to pick the right neighborhood that suits your own interests and budget.

Charlotte is so big, so it is hard without knowing more specifically which neighborhood your business is in, how much you want or are able to spend, what kind of neighborhood are you looking for (family friendly, up and coming, hip and happening)

While I don't know specifically of new constructions that will allow you to have the choice of finishes. I can say this...

If you want to live in an up and coming art district that has a bohemian feel NoDa is what you are looking for.

If you like eating out and shopping at up scale stores you should check out the South Park or Ballantine area. It's pricier living but has that upscale feel.

Malls:

SouthPark is the ritsy upscale mall

Carolina Place has a new H&M going in this month, but it's kind of a tired mall.

NorthLake and Concord Mills are good malls but they are on the North side of Charlotte.

Trader Joes is my favorite grocery store. They are a chain of smaller stores that don't have many name brand items, but they focus more on affordable and unique quality foods.

There are a few new Publix stores that have opened in the south Charlotte area and Harris Teeter is always a nice grocery store.

Amelies french bakery in NoDa is a must see for coffee and pastries. It's such a great atmosphere and they have AWESOME goodies. They are open 24/7.

Favorite restaurants would include, Blue, CowFish, Monterrey's, The Pita Pit, Del Friso's and Buca di Beppo..... those are just the first few that come to mind.

I have never been to a Bobcats game, but tickets are generally available and a friend has said they put on a good game. The Knights stadium should be opening this year so that will be a new treat. The Carolina Panthers play in downtown Charlotte if you like Football. And if you are interested in Nascar there are several races in Concord every year. Even if you are not into Nascar, I think it's a fun experience to go to at least once, but I would recommend the Oct race vs May.

The best thing about Charlotte in my opinion is there is a lot to do here without being overwhelmingly big! We have professional sports, great restaurants, museums, fine arts programs, plays, musicals, concerts... there is always something to do in the Charlotte area.

The worst thing about Charlotte..... rush hour traffic.... the summer heat

I hope that helps! Welcome to Charlotte, I hope you like it here!

Use a real estate agent or an apt locator.