Theists, would you be able to enjoy life without God?

I'm just curious. How many of you, if you found out there was no God and your religion was false, would you feel like there's a point to living? Would you still be able to enjoy life even knowing we're not here for an objective reason?

• Mariel
    Favorite Answer

1 John 4:8

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

Can you enjoy life without love?

Religions are irrelevant to learning how to love unconditionally. If a religion helps you to love, good.

If it doesn't, then it is harmful to your spiritual growth.

This is a very tough question that believe me, has been asked since the beginning of theology. The first and most practical place to start would be a concise definition of what God is. This is extremely difficult to answer considering the vast amount of knowledge and perception of the universe. For the sake of my argument, I will define God as "an abstract concept that serves as a manner for providing meaning into one's life." For the other readers, if this does not take into account your beliefs I apologize. That being said, from my personal standpoint it would not have an effect on me. For me, God is an impersonal force that resides all throughout the planes of existence, not a benevolent being granting life. In this universe, science is the driving force. It is only after we die that we truly begin to understand the eternal freedom of the soul and our ultimate goal as a living being to be a unified consciousness. That to me is what makes God such a special concept, a unified consciousness. We see this all the time; the sharing of ideas at a business meeting, the intense bond of a mother and her newborn, the list goes on and on. Although I do not follow a religion, I do very much believe in the soul and consciousness, which regardless of there being a God doesn't effect my life. If my beliefs about a soul are wrong and this is our only life, then so be it. We are still experiencing God in the everyday interactions of people and it is our effect on the world and thoughts that make us divine, not some figure in the sky.

Sure, you can enjoy life believing there is no god, I did it for years. Nevertheless, if there is no God, life is pointless, any enjoyment you have will come to an end and you won't have any memory of it after you die, so there is no point.

• giles

My brief experience with religion as a child left me a neurotic wreck, worrying about getting in it heaven and satan and snakes and all that other stuff. A few years later I became atheist and have found life much more enjoyable since.

no not for me if there was no love no god no energy of love goodness protection nothing to strive for for goodness and love purity decency then there's no reason for me to be alive my life would not be worth living since there are no good or trust worthy people in my life or that have love in there heart and nothing in this world is good and i find no pleasure in what others seem to enjoy no my life would not be worth living

My life is better because of God.

And would you be able to enjoy your life without criticizing and finding fault with people who have believed as people have correctly believed for centuries?

Without God there would be no life, literally.

But assuming that your premise were somehow true, yes, live is enjoyable.

Sure, but it would way more boring and less interesting.

DEAD MEN WALKING // TRUTHSEEKAH & KING JAMES // OFFICIAL VIDEO // TAKE MY LIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBwBQDZKUgY

Youtube thumbnail

That's a mighty big "if" seeing as the truth cannot be false.