What can I find at a city dump?

Would I be able to find appliances such as, a fridge, or stove, in good condition? Or dishes, pots, pans? What sorts of things are better not to get in used condition?

• lare
    Favorite Answer

you will find yourself in jail. public landfills are protected by health ordinances. if you want to scavenge, you need to get items as they are set out on the street for pickup. even that is illegal but people rarely complain. i had a GF once that loved dumspter diving for abandoned treasures. where you will find much better pickings is at a St Vincent de Paul, or Salvation Army Thrift Store. they get a lot of donations, most of which they just turn around and toss. I know, i worked in a Thrift Store as a youth. If you tell them you have a need for pots or a certain appliance, they might just oblige you when they sort out the next batch. Where i live now in Savannah, they have an annual charity rummage sale that has stuff like that, not free but cheap.

• Bill

I don't know about your country, but in most of the US it's illegal to remove items from a dump.

Check with local authorities to find out

what you can and cannot do legally.

In any event, cleaning things sufficiently is quite a job.

Do you have a commercial-grade steam cleaner?

The excesses of capitalism......