In WordPress is there a way to have a "light" I can toggle on or off to show availability?

I wan't people to be able to see when they visit the website that someone is available in the office for a call or live chat. So I'm looking for a simple thing that I can just leave a shortcut link to on our office computer so that whoever is in can just click there and switch on the virtual light to let people know office hours are open.

I'm using WordPress with the Lumin theme by Elegant Themes that we have since modified with other plugins and such.

• Chris
    Favorite Answer

This is possible but takes a bit of preparation and work.

The basic idea is to add a table to your web server's database (think of it like an excel sheet). This table will store a single value: whether the light is on or off.

The next thing you need is a small php script. It fulfills two purposes: a) opening it in a webbrowser will display a page with the "light switch" and allow you to change the status.

b) including it in wordpress allows you to read out the status and display something accordingly.

The person who set up your website should be able to implement this in about half an hour.

Final notes:

-I don't know how your hosting is set up; hosts usually only allow database access to scripts on their own servers. In that case you need an additional local web page acting as a switch.

-It is also possible to write a small light switch app that will continuously run on the desktop.

I found a free download of WordPress here http://bitly.com/1yynEDX

Wordpress is probably the most elegant and professional blogging platform