Is Israel safe to visit?

I promised my boyfriend I would go in May but to be honest it doesn't seem to be the safest place in world... He lives in Haifa, I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Shay p
    Best Answer

Yes Israel is very safe to visit, "With some of the world's holiest sites, sacred to Jews, Muslims, and Christians alike, Israel is a one-of-a-kind destination. From the ancient streets of Jerusalem to the nightlife of Tel Aviv, this is a place where the past rubs elbows with the present like no other. Unfortunately, all that elbow-rubbing comes with a downside, and Israel has been the scene of religious tension, terrorist attacks, and flat-out war over the course of its 60-plus years.

The U.S. Department of State strongly warns Americans not to visit the Gaza Strip and most areas of the West Bank (other than Jericho and Bethlehem), because of ongoing tensions and risks that can range from rock-throwing to rocket fire. On the other hand, major cities such as Haifa and Tel Aviv are as safe as any in the world, and Jerusalem, as long as you observe some common-sense rules, is an unforgettable experience that shouldn't be missed. While in Jerusalem, avoid street protests and approach religious sites with caution on holy days, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays because of potential congestion and security restrictions. As with any troubled region, you will feel most supported and informed if you travel with an experienced tour operator and stay in touch with the staff at your hotel about the potential for political and religious demonstrations."

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/...

• Sal J

My boyfriend also lives in Israel. Don't worry, Maria! The rocket/mortar shell attacks by Hamas can only reach Israel's southern border in areas like Sderot or Ashkelon. Your boyfriend lives all the way up north where Hezbollah is the main threat. And have you been following the news lately? Hezbollah is way too busy killing Syrians to bother with Israel these days. You should be fine.

On a side note, I should warn you about one thing: Haifa sucks! I mean it's not dangerous or anything. It's just notoriously... boring.

The Israeli Government invests billions every year to ensure the safety of Israeli citizens and visitors to the country.

Hamas rockets can't reach Haifa, but there is a threat from Hezbollah in Lebanon who've shot rockets in the past. However they've joined the Syrian Civil War so they're having a hell of a time indiscriminately killing civilians and Al Qaeda fighters. Even when they did fire rockets very few people were hurt because 1) Arabs aren't famed for their technology 2) There's bomb shelters everywhere and interceptor missiles destroy 50%-90% of terrorist rockets in mid-air.

Really in New York you're more likely to die because of the crime levels.

And Sal J is right Haifa is pretty dull there's a saying "Jerusalem prays, Tel Aviv parties, and Haifa works" but there's interesting parts worth seeing... actually I lied there's only one thing worth seeing which is the Baha'i Gardens http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e...

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself though. Anyway you're traveling to meet your boyfriend rather than to tour a lousy city. Have a great time.

Israel is a lot safer than America.

The stuff on the news is propaganda perpetrated by interested parties.

Every few years there's a conflict which lasts a couple of weeks, and during those conflicts there could be some casualties, but even then it is in very small numbers, and much lower than crime in America.

• Yaakov

Israel is Safe to Visit and live. I've went to school there before and I go a lot. its Safe.

Anything can happen anywhere. If you think Israel isn't safe that means no place on earth is safe lol.

• Zvi

Yes. I have visited Israel several times., and I've felt safer there than I sometimes feel in the USA. Haifa in particular is a peaceful town. Like anywhere else, there are places you won't want to visit at night, but I'm sure your boyfriend would be able to tell you what to avoid.

Not to sound overly confident but even during times of conflict the trouble is always on the front line

So

Don't worry, you will have a great time !

yes it is. Ive been there and i stayed there for a week and to be honest, it was one of my favorite ever trips. Such a beautiful country, with amazing nature all around. No wonder the jews wanted palestine so bad lol. Yeah so basically, there isnt a war going on, if thats what youre trying to ask

No place on earth with Muslim population is safe:

being it UK,

or france.

or even China, as the last week event with 40 innocent people dead clearly indicated this.