Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Bree asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

What is going on between Ukraine and Russia?

I need a link explaining everything that happened between them from the very beginning. Something about a church? I need to use it for a school paper I am writing but i thinks i need more information lol.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

While the Soviet Union was still in existence, Russia and the Ukraine were both a part of the Soviet Union. To stop unrest in Ukraine, Russia donated a area called "Crimea" to Ukraine in 1954. Now to what is happening today. Ukraine was set to sign a economic deal with the European Union. The pro-Russian president of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych, was set to sign this deal but at the last moment said he would never sign such a deal and decided instead to turn to Russia for economic bail outs. Huge Pro-European protests broke out across the country, especially in the capital of Kiev. Ukrainian parliament voted that the President can no longer stay in power, Viktor Yanukovych, fled to Russia.

Well, Crimea, made up of mostly Russian speaking citizens, started there own protests and unrest saying that the new Ukrainian government would suppress there rights. Russia claims they have a right to send in troops to Crimea to defend the Russian lineage people and defend there naval base in the area, which was leased to them by the Ukrainian government several years ago. However, a 1994 treaty agreement says that it is ILLEGAL for Russia to violate Ukrainian sovereignty, this is the same agreement in which Ukraine choose to give up its nukes, and that the United States and the United Kingdom are suppose to defend Ukrainian sovereignty.

Going from there, western nations have not expressed there wish to go to war with Russia. A event like this happened once in Georgia where Russia invaded a small, southern country a few years ago. Georgia is a nation that has expressed there wish to join both NATO and the EU. When Russia invaded, the western nations did not intervene militarily. However, the United States placed Military aircraft at air fields and placed american soldiers in certain cities, this caused the Russian military to halt its advance and kept them from attacking the Georgian air force.

Something along this lines is much more likely then a war against Russia.

Any further questions feel free to e-mail me at Randolph_Edward@yahoo.com

Lv 7
    7 years ago

Russia wants the rights to the ports of Crimea. 60% OF THE PEOPLE OF Crimea wants to be Russian.

The rest of the Ukraine are not really Russian and want to be part of Europe

There has been problems in Crimea for Centuries

• 7 years ago

Whatever the hell is going on in the Ukraine & in the Crimea, let's keep the U.S. military out of it. We don't need to get bogged down in yet another expensive, resource - draining police action / war in another part of the world. U.S. troops get sent overseas & the U.S.' reputation takes another hit

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.