Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Wait, are there people out there who REALLY believe there was a global flood?

I mean that's got to be a gag, right?

NO one could possibly be that gullible or ill educated, right?

Even just a cursory glance at the evidence shows that the whole story is nothing but a fairy tale. Any wooden vessel as described in the bible would tear itself apart under it's own weight. Heck, you couldn't even build such a thing due to what thermal warping would do to it.

Not to mention the fact that there isn't enough water on the entire planet to create a flood that was described by that book of myths and fairy tales.

Honestly, no one's gullible enough to believe such patent nonsense, are they?

Update:

Fish on mountaintops?

Source please. (credible sources only)

The ark (note the correct spelling) was also found?

Source please. (credible sources only)

I reserve manners ONLY for those who deserve it. Anyone who claims to believe such ridiculous nonsense, deserve nothing but ridicule.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Crazy isn't it? I know Christians (yes even in the UK) who say we find fossils in a way that is consistent with "The Flood"

Sadly I hear it's worse in America with 40% being Bible literalists.

Here's some of the physical implications of a literal interpretation of Noah's Ark.

I mean Mt. Everest is roughly 29,000ft. The Bible says it covered the mountains, that's a lot of water, where did it come from? The Bible gives us the answer as though the Earth is a giant snowglobe floating in the around with the waters of the heavens and the waters of the deep divided a firmament in the sky.

Then we geographic distribution and the two problems it presents. First of all we have to have all the animals coming to the Ark in pairs nicely without any fighting and then after the flood was over them travelling back without getting lost of dying seeing as there are no marsupial fossils on the way. Why didn't the penguins go to the Arctic instead of the Antarctic.

But let's pretend all that is fine and everything is perfect. What happens about feeding and watering them? And how are Noah and Mrs Noah (plus a few others) going to look after them all for 40 days and 40 nights. It seems near on impossible to fit all the food on and keep it from going off nevermind any of the live animals especially when you consider 99% of all animal species who have ever lived are now extinct.

Let's just say that was all fine too though. It's not long before we hit another problem. How did the animals get on and behave themselves. Many of the insects are obligate parasites, isn't that going to make the trip for all the other animals so much more fun considering most carry diseases too?

But let's just pretend that was all fine too shall we and they're all just living on The Ark all happy? Now we have to think about altitude, aren't the animals going to have a hard time breathing all the way up at a level higher than Mt. Everest? And wouldn't it be cold? That is unless the sheer amount of water heated up and made it unbearably hot and humid?

I'm sure that was all okay though aren't you? But what about all of the sea life? The water was so deep the sunlight wouldn't be able to penetrate down to the plants so all the fish and the other aquatic life are going to die because of the impact on the food chain and salt water and fresh water are going to mix too (sorry if that offends any Muslims but I'm not actually sorry because that does happen).

But let's pretend none of that mattered and they all got off of The Ark to go home. What are they going to eat on the way home? Wasn't the flood supposed to kill all land life? If they ate each other everytime they do they will make an entire species go extinct and the only way to stop this is through lots and lots of incest. I mean nothing is going to go wrong with that is it? No severe genetic defects at all?

• 7 years ago

It is retold and misinterpreted ancient Sumerian mythology.

“Even if we could read the Bible in Hebrew, we would still be reading a highly selective and edited version of events. It is not disputed that the bishops in the earliest Christian councils decided which texts should be included and which not. Texts which were considered unacceptable then, for whatever reasons, have always been regarded as outside the canon and therefore “apocryphal” rather than the canonised “holy” books.’ The 39 books of the Old Testament were the result of a protracted process of editing and collation.

In the nineteenth century, a group of German scholars, studying various Biblical inconsistencies, came to the conclusion that there were four sources behind the Pentateuch, and their explanation is regarded by many as the best available. The word of Moses, which was supposedly written in the Sinai desert in the fourteenth or fifteenth century BC, was thus being edited hundreds of years later, whilst the Book of Genesis was an edited account of much earlier material.

The first parts of Genesis, from the tale of Creation through the tales of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, the Tower of Babel, the Great Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Wars of the Kings in which Abraham was involved -- are all based on earlier Sumerian records. The origin of the Biblical seven days of creation is almost certainly the seven tablets on which the Enuma Elish was written. This is evident from the contrast between the first six Babylonian tablets describing Marduk’s acts of creation and the seventh tablet which is dedicated to a general exaltation of the god (and thus a parallel to the Biblical seventh day when God rested).

During the last one hundred years, tens of thousands of clay tablets have been excavated in ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) dating back to 6,000 years ago. Archaeological and linguistic studies trace the origin of the Elohim concept to a Babylonian epic text known as the Enuma Elish, which deals with the creation of the heavens and Earth by a Babylonian God named Marduk. There is amazing similarity between Genesis and the Enuma Elish except that one credits the creation of heavens and Earth to God, whilst the other credits it to Marduk.

The HEBREW, EXILED IN BABYLON, WERE INFLUENCED BY THE ENUMA ELISH, which had been the most sacred Babylonian ritual text for over a thousand years.”

The earliest books of Genesis were handed down from generation to generation by oral tradition, before the Hebrew people developed a system of Phoenician writing, around 1000 BCE. So the Hebrews remembered bits and pieces of the Sumerian texts and wrote them down ADDING THEIR TWISTS AND SPIN ON IT when they learnt how to write.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Sadly I report to you that there people who still believe that.

Debunked a thousand times, they insist what could never have happened is common knowledge.

I can't imagine living in a world where more of it was pretend than real.

I can't remember ever being so young as to be fooled by such as that.

• Rai A
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Best suggested explanation I've heard was when the (now) Black Sea opened up.

Predictions is it took months for the area to flood with no chance of the waters receding, so farmers tried to save their domesticated animals by boat.

Source(s): Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fuzzy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Study a little, please:

http://amazingdiscoveries.tv/media/7/102-a-univers...

Only the ignorant and those who have not investigated things, ignore that all manners of fish fossils, shell fish, are found globally on the tops of mountains.

Many many years ago I climbed a small mountain in Norway (big for Europe) and these remains were on that mountain. So, I have personally seen this, as have many others climbing mountains, small or big.

Anyone who has climbed mountains has most likely encountered some shellfish or other types of marine fossils. It is very common.

----

Deserving of ridicule:

Those who think that things up and make themselves seem to deserve ridicule more than the ones your r. targets. Believing that our brain, marvelous bodies with self repair, the ecosystems with is mass of beautiful creation that worked flawlessly until we destroyed it - all this made by the god of nothing you worship! If that is not truly imbecilic beliefs, nothing is.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

*tosses a thumb at Fireball*

Yes, there are. To be fair, these are Christians of a more fundamentalist viewpoint. There are plenty of Christians who realize that Noah's Flood, if it actually happened, was not a world-wide event.

• 7 years ago

Some people cannot tell the difference between "metaphor" and "apocrypha". One is a contrived object lesson - like a fable - the other a fabrication for the gullible.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, there are people who believe that.

They don't represent all Christians.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

46% of the US population thinks Earth is less than 10,000 years old, so to answer your question, yes.

• 7 years ago

Yes I happen to believe it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.