Does anyone know exactly what happens at a wake in Japan & at a Japanese funeral?

Favorite Answer

Um, yeah. To some extent, it depends on whether it is Buddhist or more rarely Shinto. And the different kinds of Buddhism have slightly different things going on.

Your best bet is to ask someone else who is going to sit next to you and guide you through it. Try to wear black, but navy will do in a pinch. You can get a black tie at the 100 yen store. And, you'll usually give 3000 to 5000 yen at the reception table to help the grieving family defray the expenses . . . at least, you do in my area.

It's best to ask someone, like I said.

Oh, and it's probably a good idea to bring your own tissue, and you can also get a Buddhist rosary at a 100 yen store.

Most Japanese people, I would imagine.

• Gavin

There is too much to explain here. Look it up, there are plenty of sites describing it.