Should I get a new laptop or upgrade to an SSD?

Should I buy a whole new laptop or upgrade to an SSD? My laptop I have right now is not too bad. Sometimes it loads programs fast, other times pretty slow. Occasionally the whole computer freezes for about a minute (not just the program, the whole computer). This usually happens when using the browser after turning it on from sleep.

I've had this computer for about 3 years now but I do not use it much, only for travelling. I plan to go on a working visa so I wonder if I should spend a lot on a new laptop or just buy a 500 GB SSD to have the computer perform faster.

Here are the computer specs:

HP Pavilion dv5-2144ca Notebook PC

4 GB RAM

AMD Turion II P540 Duel-Core Processor 2.4 GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

500 GB (7200 RPM)

I don't do too much heavy stuff on my laptop. I occasionally play games when travelling, but it can meets my standards for FPS on the games I play. I use it mainly for web browsing while travelling as well as image processing.

Favorite Answer

I'd disagree. At around the three year mark, computers start to feel like a relic. They aren't responsive for most things. At the point it is now, the entire thing is started to show its wear, and its gaming performance is not very good compared to even an Intel integrated graphics. There are some much better AMD integrated solutions now as well.

You can easily step up to a Quad Core processor with twice as much RAM and see more performance from that than a SSD will ever give you. It will also give you the option to get a more portable model as well as one with a touchscreen if you so choose. SSD prices have sure come down, it will be the cheaper option to go with, but I pretty sure your laptop is so old, it can't even take full advantage of one. I know someone who has a similar model of what you have and it is showing its age just like yours is.

Before you consider spending money on an SSD you should probably scan your computer for a virus/malware. Here are to links:

Scan your computer with this, what I would do is a full scan. but quick works to.

If you find anything add it to the "Quarantine" and see if it improves your computer speed.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

If you don't already have a anti-virus installed, I like to use Avast! free anti virus. With this its the same thing set up the program, and scan away!

www.avast.com/index

Ok so now assuming you did those, see if you get any improvements in speed. If not try uninstalling unwanted programs. Control panel>>Programs>>Uninstall a program>> and select the ones from that list you don't need.

Another thing that could be happening is to many programs running are using up all of your RAM. Go to task manager and click the startup tab. Disable any unwanted things you want to start on startup.

Ok, now guessing all has failed since you are reading down here instead of choosing a best answer :P

Go to pcpartpicker.com or newegg.com and see if they have any SSD you would need!

P.S pcpartpicker searches tons of stores and gives you the lowest deals

Hope this helps!

BigB

Source(s): I'm using windows 8 so it might be a bit different for you!
  • Ash

Your laptop is fine an upgrade to an SSD would be more economical.