Will Rosetta Stone help me become fluent in languages?

I really want to learn Russian and German and I was looking into Rosetta Stone but I'm not sure if I should purchase it. Does anyone know if it is worth the price and if it will help you with becoming fluent?

Favorite Answer

Just forget RS completely!

RS is ridiculously overpriced, overrated and overhyped. All it does is make you repeat simple things like a parrot, nothing else. No context-based learning, no feedback, no grammar teaching, no conversation, no nothing. Cash-in for absolutely nothing, because this will never ever be able to replace real face-to-face language lessons nor other "conventional" language learning methods, nor make anyone fluent in any language, let alone master one. Please stay well away from these kind of "gimmicks"!

• Aya

I don't really think it's possible to become fluent in any language by using a computer course. Such courses can only have so much content, and it's impossible to get the truly varied experiences involved in speaking with real people by using such a course. So it might be a good start, but if you really want to be fluent you will eventually need proper classes and interaction with other speakers (including other learners) in order to advance.

I've never tried it, but I hear it is very, very useful for beginners and moderate speakers. It is apparently very difficult to reach fluency using the course.

• RE

No. RS is for beginners only, and it is overpriced.