how often to feed Goldfish?

i have a heated 10 gallon aquarium with a Comet, Black Moore, and an Oranda Goldfish. i feed them once a day and once a week before i go to bed i give them some Bloodworms. every time i even sit down in front of them to watch them they swarm around me like flesh eating zombies and act like they are starving. am i not feeding them enough? i dont want to overfeed them and wind up polluting the water please help

Update:

ohh i forgot i also do water change once a week ranging from 25-50%

Update 2:

@Sarah, im sorry im not gonna go out and get a 95 gallon tank for 3 fish. i have talked to 3 workers at Petsmart and 3 times i was told the 10 gallon would work just fine. these fish are not big but if they do grow i will cross that bridge when it comes..also as i was told the heater is not necessary but it wont hurt to have it. not to mention we are in winter here and its cold i do appreciate your insight but i was asking about feeding

Update 3:

@IronLung thanks for the info did you feed your fish the bloodworms too?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Your feeding schedual sounds fine. The begging thing, that is just what fish do, especially the more personable ones, like goldfish, angels, bettas, oscars... Pupies and dogs do it too, be carefull not too let those big eyes guilt you into over feeding.

But i do want to warn you, petsmart does not have the best reputation for fish care, or advise. Remeber that these people make money mhen your pets get sick and you have to buy medicines there, and replacement pets.

Your fish will need a much bigger tank soon.

The rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish, and 10 more gallons for each additional fancy goldfish.

In the ten gallon, at least change 35-45% of the water 3 times a week so that they might possibly start to grow to the size were you will see that the tank is just too small. and that should happen in less than 6 months or so to goldfish with clean water minus the hormones that shoot out of them and try to stunt there grow as a survival tactic. One more reason to do extra water changes.

once a week changes are a luxury for moderatly stocked cycled tanks, and it takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank.

In the meantime

• Sarah
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

1) Commons should not be with fancies.

2) Goldfish are cold water fish who like temps between 68 and 73. Fancies on the warmer side. No heater.

3) Fancies need 20 gallons each, commons need thirty, preferably more. Double filtration.

4) Growing goldfish should be eating 2-3% of their body weight per day over 2-3 meals if possible, with grown fish eating 1%. This cuts down on the risk of constipation. (sinking pre-soaked pellets).

To weigh, use a kitchen scale. Tare a bowl of tank water and put your fish in.

5) You can also feed: peas (great for constipation), spinach, lima beans, cucumber, oranges, dark greens, green beans...and the list goes on. All should be cooked or steamed and mushy.

6) In that tank, you are 75 gallons short. I would recommend 3 75% changes each week to ensure there is no ammonia or nitrite in the tank. Test using an API liquid test. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0, nitrate should be under 30ppm. You NEED to upgrade ASAP.

Good luck!

• 7 years ago

Once a day is fine. The reason they frenzy is because fish are opportunistic eaters. For example:all fish in the wild have know idea when there next meal will be.So they eat whenever they get the chance.Thats why it is sooo easy to over feed them.

When my fish where young, i fed them twice a day. But since everyone has grown i do one feeding a day.

• Amber
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

My fish get fed once a day. I started out by putting just a pinch of food in, waiting until they eat it all, and then add some more until 3 minutes was up. I was careful to keep track of how much they were eating.

I've had goldfish before and I can tell you from experince you will want at least a 25 gallon tank for those three.

1. Comets are very active fish that prefer longer tanks to shorter and need room to swim. They also grow to be 12 inches long. That's a lot of fish!

Both of the other fish are smaller than a comet and are not quite as active. They are more sensitive than comets and therefore need cleaner water.

I'll give you a couple more tips as well:

You will need to do weekly 50% water changes on the tank. Full water changes are too much work, and smaller water changes than that are not enough to keep a 10 gallon with 3 goldfish happy in it.

You will also need to buy a larger filter at some point. Goldfish, having tiny stomachs, do not process their food very well. They produce a lot of waste that dirties your tank very fast.

Also, the filter is where good bacteria lives. This bacteria breaks down waste (called ammonia) in the tank and convert it to nitrite and then to nitrate. Ammonia is very toxic to your fish. It can even burn them if given a chance. To keep ammonia levels down, do 50% weekly water changes. Another easy way to keep it down is (ironically) to never change the filter media (the cartridge in the filter) in the filter. If it gets dirty or clogged just rinse it out in a bucket of tank water (cholorine will kill the bacteria and make more work for yourself.

Also, cleaning the tank becomes may times easier if you buy a test kit. API liquid tests are the nicest, but test strips work as well.

For goldfish, follow this:

Ammonia:

0ppm (parts per million) = no water change.

readable - 0.50ppm = 25% water change.

0.50 - 1ppm = 50% water change.

1ppm + = 75% water change OR 2 50% water changes (better for the fish.)

Nitrite: (Same as ammonia.)

Nitrate:

0ppm = no water change. You have a problem. You should always have nitrate in the tank. It's a sign that the cycle (bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.) is working correctly.

5-20ppm = no water change.

20-30ppm = 25% water change.

30-40ppm = 50% water change.

40ppm + = 75% water change or two 50% water changes.

Sometimes, you may not have to do a water change at all. Keep in mind, though, that weekly 25% water changes as a minimum will keep the pH from swinging which is bad for the fish.

So, take my words into consideration. I've had goldfish before and I started off just where you are now. My goldfish (4 commons and 1 comet) ended up in a 55 gallon tank and then into a pond.

The best idea for your fish is a 40 gallon tank, but with the right things (gravel vacuum, big filters, water testing kit, cycled tank, 0ppm of ammonia and nitrite, and 20ppm or less of nitrate) and you will keep the fish healthy for ten years or more!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.