Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is the meaning of "teach-out" ?

the school's 16 students were asked to accept either a partial tuition refund or possibly continue "teach-out" courses through another institution.

Cf) this school will be shut down.

Favorite Answer

The definition by the U.S. Department of Education is as follow:

"Institutions seek to ensure that students are afforded every opportunity to successfully complete their training, whether it is with another institution that has agreed to teach those students, by the institution itself, or through refunds paid to students so that they may continue their education elsewhere."

~ Translation: If a school is shut down forever, the students during the school year must be guaranteed an education by all means necessary to complete their education for that year.

Yes no should mean no! It's difficult when they keep whining on especially if they are putting you on a spot in front of other people. Trouble is if you don't stick to it the child gets mixed messages and begins to think that you can be talked around on anything and there will be constant battles over everything. My Dad only had to say no and I got the message and would forget about it. I try to do it with my kids but my Hubbie is a bit of a soft touch and tends to backtrack sometimes so that causes friction too because kids learn at a young age who they can talk around. I think many kids don't know no means no these days and many parents have an anything for a quiet life attitude, this works in the short term but can cause may more problems in the future.