Christians, Could the extra-Biblical gospels Mary/Thomas/etc. be historical fiction stories of that time?

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that the extra-Biblical "gospels" might simply be historical fictions of their time? They wrote books of historical facts, science, religion, fictitious plays, etc. just the way we do today, so, why not fictitious stories based on historical facts and individuals? I've been thinking about these stories and i can't help but wonder if they are really works of fiction, like the works of fiction and historical fiction that modern day authors write ---- meant only for entertainment and not for historical and/or religious record the way many of us presently have been viewing them. What would someone 1500 years from now think about one of our historical fiction books that we have based on a real historical person? ... or even Jesus Christ, as we have many Christian books that are based on people in the Bible, including Jesus Christ? So, perhaps we should be rethinking accepting these books as having been written as a factual record of Jesus Christ and His life the way Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John had written and intended theirs to be seen.

Your thoughts? ...

Update:

@Gregory: apocrapha isn't inspired Scripture but it is a record of fact of Jewish history (see Judaism)

@2FollowHim: thank U for trying; i think i understand what U were trying 2 say (i had trouble with Y!A, 2)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have read and meditated on God's Holy word, you know His voice. When you 'hear ' the extra so called gospels of Mary, Thomas, Judas, Phillip etc, you will quickly realize that what you are reading is fake. They were all written hundreds of years after the fact and so not at all trustworthy. Bank tellers who know the difference between real money and counterfeit money, just by 'feel',

are exactly like the people who know their Masters voice.

• Sam J
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

It's a matter of opinion, but I don't think so. If you've ever read The Gospel of Thomas, you know it is not a narrative gospel. It has 114 logions, all of which are specific teachings by Christ. The church not only excluded it from the NT, but also sought to have it wiped off the face of the Earth. What puzzles me about that is more than half the logions in the Gospel can also be found in the 4 NT gospels. If that's the case, why the heck did they want to destroy it? Maybe it had something to do with the fact that to understand Thomas is to understand Jesus, and perhaps the church didn't want their followers being empowered when they've worked so hard to enslave them.

It took me over a year to fully understand Thomas, but once I did, the messages within have become the foundation of my beliefs. Thomas allows you to understand how and why the entire Bible is misinterpreted by the church. The message is vague, but EXTREMELY profound.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes.

Just like the "gospels" are.

They're *all* fiction -- how "historical" they are is not very.

By the way, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John didn't write the "gospels." The authors are unknown, but are NOT the "traditional" authors.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Historical - doubious.

Fiction stoires - yes, but dangerous ones, mostly written to mislead the faithful, and send them down potential paths of destruction. Penned by man though the direction of satan.

Defintely never written for " entertainment".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

"Has anyone ever considered the possibility that the extra-Biblical "gospels" might simply be historical fictions of their time?"

Sure... many of us know bibel is ALL fiction ;)

Bibel was written by deluded men and hijacked by unscrupulous men to hold sway and power over weak-minded men

“I hate to break it to you but bibel is not the inspired word of God.

It was written by a bunch of desert baked primitive nomads who ate bugs and honey.

Of course they saw God!”

“How could the biblical authors, who were said to have been so close to God and what he knew, have been so ignorant?”

“Just think how insightful a book that actually came from a Creator would be...

Beautiful mathematics, comprehensive laws of physics, clear biology, consistent morality and ethics among other gems.

Instead we get a bizarre book on talking snakes, burning bushes, slaves, Neolithic philosophy and a strange preoccupation with everyone's sex life”.

Quite frankly, if you need the carrot and stick idea of heaven and hell to behave, then you're not a moral person at all; you're a sociopath leashed by fear and self-interest.

https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/24ee61d5f88d4ff684...

~

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Holy Spirit directed bible. Can't submit..not working.

Those books are mixtures, what someone heard, didn't check.

• Art
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They absolutely could, which makes one wonder if the rest of the cannon (which all those other books were up for inclusion in) is equally as valid.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I'm not christian but, they were probably just things that didn't make the canon and may not have been as popular.

• 7 years ago

yes the apocrypha were fiction

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No, I don't believe so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.