Should women be forced to take STEM courses?

STEM being Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics.

These are the fields where you can earn a relatively high and stable income and women account for less than 25% of the jobs.

Since feminists constantly rant about income inequality, isn't this a very effective way to make things equal? I'm sure all glass ceilings will be shattered the day we see more Newtonesses and Einsteinesses.

Favorite Answer

Well I have to say I agree I know the person said that all people in college take them but those are all just general education that colleges make you take so they can claim they make students "well rounded" but if women were forced to take chemistry exams or classes or biology or physics they might find that they excel at a something that can lead to a job in a high paying field. Not to stereotype but most women I know are nurses, teachers, and other jobs that are classified as women jobs even though their are many men in those professions they tend to be in the lower paying professions to begin with. At Least from what I notice I mean don't get me wrong women can do high paying professions my neurologist is a woman and she is my favorite doctors (I've seen easily 30 or more doctors in my short time on here on earth) but for the most part women don't go into these professions for reasons I don't know their are all types of reasons I could think of but I'm running out of room to type.

Source(s): 18 year old guy

No one should be forced to take STEMP courses. But anyone wishing to learn should not be hindered. STEMP typically requires a lot of study and perseverance. Many long hours. Not every one is able nor interested. There is nothing about STEMP that applies any differently to men compared to women.

• Frank

Grow up. All students take core courses, which include science and math.

• Cody

NO NO NO, obviously feminists have it right! Go to college which in the US is 60% female, then go for a double major in gender (womens) studies and English (both female dominated) and then right about the inequality in the STEM fields! How does that not make sense!

No but seriously, we should try to find ways to get girls interested in STEM early instead of trying to get women in to it later.

• Kiki

The wage gap would close, if we got paid equally for equal work. I know it's a tricky concept, but with your brilliant education, clearly in the STEM fields... you should be able comprehend it. When you do, please explain it to your buddies. They are struggling.

Up to a certain grade level, it is mandatory for all students to take courses like that, as it should be. Beyond that, it's up to them, though it should be encouraged.

If women are forced to take that, men will be forced, too.

Do you want to be like China? Because thats how you be like China. women tend not to like that stuff.