Christians: Do you see anything wrong with this scenario?

Teacher: Who can tell me what four plus two equals?

Pupil: Eight.

Teacher: No I'm sorry that is incorrect.

Pupil: But I believe it is eight, and I feel it in my heart it is eight.

Teacher: Well I'm afraid we have empirical repeatable evidence to prove the contrary.

Pupil: But I have faith that my answer is correct.

Teacher: OK from now on four plus two equals both six and eight, does anyone else have faith in it being yet another answer we should now accept as correct?

----------------------------------

Do you believe something that is incorrect should be taught to children just because they have faith it is true? Or is better to teach things truthfully regardless of their contradictions to faith?

• Lhotse
    Favorite Answer

Beautiful question.

Heaven forbid we deny anyone's faith, no matter how daft.

• User

Yes - but the scenario seems pointless and not relevant to the real world.

It's sad, but some teachers are actually afraid to teach evolution these days, because of the backlash they know they'll get from the children of fundamentalists, who won't even consider anything other than creationism.

Although it is true that two plus two equals four, Sir Frank Whittle (who invented the jet engine) showed that it is mathematically possible to make two plus two equal five. This apparently illogical claim was explained by Keith Hall from Yately in Hants (UK) in his letter to the Daily Mail newspaper, 10 February 2009 as follows:

The unit of sound pressure is the decibel (dB). As this unit has a logarithmic base, the addition of two equal values produces a result which is 3dB higher - for example, 80dB + 80dB equals 83dB.

Thus the sum of 2dB + 2dB is given mathematically by 10 x log (10 to the power of 2/10 to the power of 2/10) and equals five.

Okay, I don't understand any of that, but I am prepared to acknowledge that, mathematically, it is possible to show that two plus two can sometimes equal five.

So your illustration falls apart at the seams if the teacher's lack of mathematical knowledge results in the child's out-of-the-box idea being shot down in flames without proper consideration. Yes, the child might only have a feeling based on something previously heard, but if what the child heard was actually based on complex mathematical reality, no teacher has the right to respond in the way you suggest. The child should be encouraged to explore mathematical conundrums to make break-through thinking that is the entire basis of scientific discovery.

Regardless of the apparent unreasonableness or illogicality of some ideas (e.g. the one Being of God subsisting in three Persons), they should not be dismissed just because they appear to be matters of faith. After all, despite the fact that 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, it is also true that 1 x 1 x 1 = 1.

The American educational system is strictly political in nature.

For those who want it, a very good education can be had.

In most cases, neither the parents nor the children are interested in education as much as politics or religion. Those children receive a reduced education, designed not to cause trouble. The educators are far more worried about violence than education.

We certainly see similar things all the time here on Y!A.

Source(s): .

yes the teacher is right there is no other number

Do you believe something that is incorrect should be taught to children just because they have faith it is true? no of course not that is why evolution and the big bang should not be taught their not true

is better to teach things truthfully regardless of their contradictions to faith?

yes creation by god is the only true answer not the man created myths of evolution and the big bang

• kate

Sigh, what a dumb question.