Would adding a SSD speed up my old desktop PC?

I have a 5 yr old desktop computer, that has been slow running while surfing the net or doing multi-taskings. I believe that it has 2gb or RAM.

Instead of buying a new computer, would adding a SSD speed up the desktop in net surfing and doing multi taskings?

Favorite Answer

There are plenty of reasons that a 5 year old pc might seem slow, and one of them is what you already stated, that you have 2gb of RAM. Often there are also a lot of system maintenance causes that you can catch up on which will help out your system, such as cleaning up caches and turning off unnecessary processes and applications.

As SSD's have become more reasonable in price and reliability they are also a good potential upgrade component, and one that can possibly migrate to your next build.

So the short answer to your question is yes, but it's far from the only thing to consider, and I would first rank adding RAM and addressing software/system maintenance in priority if you are going to stick with your older system.

There is only so much you can do to speed up windows. Alas, my machine is also much older than 5 years and it performs better, I had a much older (but problematic, it eventually ceased to even power on after 13 straight years!) one, which dualbooted windows and linux mint. Mint being much better in terms of speed and reliability, gave it a better life indeed. I would recommend the SSD and adding extra RAM too, but then if windows does slow down, again, do a clean install. That means booting from the windows install DVD (or recovery partition) and proceeding to format the drive and starting fresh.

However, if you only use the internet for everything, then linux mint would probably be your best bet.

• rootbrian2000
      6 years agoReport

Wanted to add something else, to have the latest version of adobe flash, you'll need to install google chrome and then it'll work flawlessly. :)

World of difference. Did not clarify if it was the old IDE standard or the newer SATA. I believe SATA. IDE stopped in the early part of 2002- 2004.

Picking up a super fast SSD will be the difference between night and day. Samsung evo in this link will do you well. Highly rated on spec, speed and performance. Secondly, these are all 2.5 models. Your desktop bay would be a 3.5 need a bracket. Check second link.

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/ssd.html#Brands=Sam...

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/hddaccessories/neon...

If you put the windows installation on the ssd or any other programs, those programs or files may load up a little bit faster but since your pc is so old and ssd so expensive. I would save the money for a new pc.

I have opposite opinion of what Andy T have said.

I think that SSD is best price/performance solution to upgrade PC. It will drastically speed up your boot time, cache memory in your web browser (faster browsing), and enhance multi-tasking by loading data much faster than HDD. (of course if you install OS and all application on it)

And because SSDs are reliable you can swap it in new PC.

• Andy T

Not much, very little enhancements using SSD as an upgrade.