Josie
Josie asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

Fluctuating Scale....?

So I have been unable to weigh myself the last couple of months due to a lackage of a scale. I went to see my aunt and found she has a digital scale so I hopped on it about 8 times and had some weigh fluctuates.

1. Pre-Using Restroom - 158.4 lb

2. Post-Using Restroom- 157.4 lb

3. After taking jacket off- 157.2 lb

4. After moving the digital scale off of the wall-165 lb

5. (I got a serious of errors including 6.8 lbs? and 89.2 lb which is obviously inaccurate; I wish haha)

6. After eating - 165.5 lb

7. After getting my mom to get on the scale (She got 255.5lb; I feel awful for making her weigh herself and find out how much she weighs, she didn't want to know. I hate saying it but the weight seems accurate, perhaps a few pounds high but definitely no more then 10 pounds too much) - 157.4 lb

8. Once more randomly - 158.7 lb

I am kind of confused, I am assuming I probably weigh the heaviest amount which is a lot and I am going to change but I have been binging/restricting a lot over the last few weeks and I was worried I gained more along the lines of 4-6 pounds. As 4 weeks ago I was 164 lb at my Doctor's appointment (She has been monitoring my weight since I left Inpatient in February)

Does your scale(s) fluctuate a lot? And which weight do you choose to go-by? The lower weight or the higher weight? Or do you meet in-between?

Ps. I am 5'10.

Favorite Answer

Its hard for body weight scales to stabilize on one weight, because even if you try to stay absolutely still, you will be swaying slightly as you maintain your balance. Try to stand as centered as possible, with an upright posture - leaning will cause more fluctuations. All scales do this, even physicians beam scales, but with beam scales, you dont notice as much, because you arent looking at a digital number that is being updated on the fly. But mechanical scales also fluctuate when you move or lean - you will just see it as the motion of the beam / pointer as it goes up and down while the nurse slides the poise to make it balance.

Your weight will also fluctuate throughout the day. The amount will vary depending on your body's physiology, but its not uncommon to fluctuate over 5lbs throughout the day. This is mostly from water weight.

The best time to weigh is in the morning when you wake up, after using the bathroom, but before eating breakfast. This will give you a good reference point to compare your daily / weekly weights. Weighing every day is said to be excessive. Its better to just weigh once or twice a week, then average these weighings each month and track your monthly averages.

Moving the scale can also cause issues. Scales need to be "zero'd" before weighing. Moving the scale sometimes changes the zero point, causing you to have to reset it. For dial / spring scales, the zero adjustment is done by rotating a little thumb wheel on the side or front of the scale. For digital scales, it depends on if the scale is a tap to weigh, or auto-on type of bathroom scale. The tap to weigh scales zero themselves when you tap with your foot. The auto-on scales zero themselves out just before turning off, so that the next time you weigh you dont have to tap with your foot to zero - it already remembers the zero point from the last time. So to re-zero an auto-on type bathroom scale, you have to let it turn on, then off again. If you don't you might notice that the weight of the platform is being added to your results.

I weigh three times each time as directed above because even exactly where you place your feet can make a pound or two difference

You should weigh yourself in the morning after 7 hours fasting and been the toilet. Keep the scales in the same place otherwise the balance of floor can change your weight.