How am I able to type fast without looking at the keyboard?

How am I able to do this? My typing speed is 88 WPM without looking at the keyboard.

Favorite Answer

Reflexes.

You would have learned the position of each key, therefore your subconscious mind can have you locate each key, without looking. I assume that you position your hands correctly, using "Home Keys," from which your fingers find the keys needed in expected positions.

If you were to use a "non-querty" keyboard, however, you should find that you have to learn how to type all over again, and would be reduced to hunting and pecking- just like the rest of us too lazy to sit down and learn how to do it properly.

I deduce that you must have been taught how to type early in life, and have forgotten how you learned, despite still retaining the skill. (Does everyone remember how they learned to ride a bicycle?)

Alternatively, you might have vivid Visual Recall, even Photographic Memory, and so have no problem recalling the position of each and every key. (Do you draw well, too?)

People generally assume that everyone else thinks and recalls the way they do.

If this were the case, though, you would not be mystified.

Strange question. Maybe you have extraordinary skills 'cause average typing speed is 41 wpm according to http://www.ratatype.com/learn/average-typing-speed...

Practice makes perfect!

Thats because u remember which key is placed exactly where on the keyboard. It also takes a lot of practice. 88WPM is just awesome. I salute you!

Keep practicing, You can also use a good typing program to help you.