e303 cam issues?

Have a 94 mustang gt, rebuilt engine with e303 cam. Runs good at high idle but stalls out at low. Anyone know why, would a tune fix it?

Favorite Answer

If your ECU has the stock tune, then that's likely your problem.

Base timing at 12 might be a starting point.

If you still have the non-adjustable pedestal rockers, I would buy $10 box of Rocker arm pedestal shims.

Pre-loading a Hydraulic lifter beyond .010-015 is going to do nothing for you but negative across the board, starting with idle quality and idle vacuum.

When you're ready, I've got a cam for you that's right at 40lbs torque/37HP better, worth 500 higher peak RPM, just as much of the idle characteristic, and considerably improved low RPM grunt. It's also 4/10ths faster in the 1/4 mile, all things being equal under the hood.

The stock tune will be PIG fat at idle with your cam.

camshaftshaun@gmail.com

Source(s): Camshaft design/manufacture, full competition race engine bldg/dvlpmnt, intrnal component failure analysis, Carb blueprinting, drivability/MPG/durability expert, chem analysis of fuel, super-tuner. I'll help/advise you, make/sell you cams. I WON't pick a competitors cam for you nor share cam specs with "tire kickers" so don't ask. I get MANY emails from Yahoo Answers. A few buyers from here, even. I WILL answer a private email or two, but please don't slam me with endless emails/questions.

The E303 is on the ragged edge of what a factory tune can support with it's 220 degrees intake duration and 110 lobe centers. You might try throwing an extra couple of degrees of initial spark timing into it, and check for any possible vacuum leaks. May need a looser converter if you have an automatic. (I wouldn't run that cam with a 5-speed)

My 91 does the same thing with the e303 cam.It usually likes 750-900rpm.Make sure the tps sensor reads .96-.99 volts.Connect voltmeter to signal wire and ground wire.If voltage is off,loosen screws and turn tps sensor til you set it to the correct voltage.Do test with key on/engine off.I had to drill a small hole in the throttle plate to allow a tiny amount of extra air in the intake.I also had to purchase a idle adjustment plate that installs between the iac valve and throttle body.It allows you to fine tune how much air bypasses the throttle body which will help raise idle.My stang wouldn't run without it after I installed the e cam.It is available at MustangsUnlimited.com for $20-$30 bucks.Check for vacuum leaks too.Check the iac valve for carbon buildup and clean its passages with carb cleaner if they're clogged.

• enns

E303 Cam

Stock tune is the problem.

high lift cams always give rough idling