Where do these fit in the non-traditional alphabet?

I'm doing a project on linguistics and I have a problem with some letters. What happens when you add the accents?

Would these ones be in order? :

a æ ɑ ą a̧ á à â ä ǎ ă ā ã å ǻ ą æ ǽ ǣ

b ɓ ɓ b

c ç ć ċ ĉ č ç

And here are the ones I'm not sure about :

ð

ɣ

ɔ ɔ̧

Sſ

þ

ß

ʋ

Ƿ

ʔ

What order are they meant to go by? And if possible, could you indicate which letter of the alphabet comes before and after each one? I'm a visual person.

• Jim
    Favorite Answer

I am having a bit of trouble understanding your question. If you are in linguistics class, surely you know that there is an International Phonetic Alphabet. This alphabet does not have a conventional order.

Any order that might be imposed would follow the order of sounds of a language being studied.

Instead, consonants are divided into categories of sound such as pulmonic consonants, Non-pulmonic consonants, Affricates, and Co-articulated consonants.

The first two categories have names for place of articulation.

Labial

Coronal

Dorsal

Radical

Glottal

If you are visual, you must visualize the oral cavity to understand this.

And then there are names for manner:

Nasal

Stop

Sibilent Fricative

Non sibilent fricative

Approximant ot trill

and lateral fricative and approximant

Of course, there are about 30 vowel names depending on the place in the mouth. The vowel symbols do not usually have accent marks. Are your vowels with marks from ordinary alphabets?

Here's a chart of a few sounds and symbols

Tie bar Ligature Description

t͡s ..............ʦ .............voiceless alveolar affricate

d͡z .............ʣ .............voiced alveolar affricate

t͡ʃ...............ʧ............. voiceless postalveolar affricate

d͡ʒ .............ʤ .............voiced postalveolar affricate

t͡ɕ...............ʨ .............voiceless alveolo-palatal affricate

d͡ʑ ...............ʥ ..........voiced alveolo-palatal affricate

t͡ɬ .........................– voiceless alveolar lateral affricate

k͡p ........................... – voiceless labial-velar plosive

ɡ͡b ...........................– voiced labial-velar plosive

ŋ͡m .......................... – labial-velar nasal stop

ɡ͡ɣ .......................... – voiced velar affricate

I hope you may become more of a aural person. Visual would be best for sign language.

I recommend that you schedule a long session with your professor. Print out your question and this answer and take it with you.

• ?

You forgot a few. What happened, for example to ø , and to ö and ü ?

I'm confused by what you're trying to do ... is it include all letter variations in an even bigger 'Latin' alphabet? Or are you picking one (or more) languages that work on variations of a 'Latin' alphabet, and just asking about the order for that one alphabet?